Engine Technology

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I thought this might be of interest. It doesn't go into a lot of detail but does give a flavour of the ground breaking technology that goes into new jet engines. It describes some of the figures that personally I find fascinating.
Each blade is grown from a single crystal, they operate at such huge temperatures and the power is amazing.

BBC News - A350 marks new phase in aero-engines

I do not doubt the GE have similar advanced technology and I am not trying to imply in any way that one is better than the other. In reality they need each other to keep pushing the boundry thats what drives innovation. But when you think of the power it really is something

I remember my father telling me when he was a test cell mechanic for Pan Am at JFK airport how much more reliable the Pratts became when they started using single cell technology...They sure have come a long way.

I know we were fitting single crystal blades to the RB199 in the early 90's. These days it's Brush seals and shroudless turbine blades and all sorts of exotic materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back