Eniwetok Island Airfield

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I'm looking for photos of Eniwetok Island during WWII After it was captured by the Americans in Feb 44 and specifically Stickell AirField in 1944. I'm researching an PB4Y-1 aircraft accident that occured 9Aug44 on the airfield. Any info or pictures of Stickell Airfield in 1944 would be appreciated. Thanks.

The squadron was VB-116 deployed with PB4Y-1s to Eniwetok 7 July 1944 and began operational patrols and sector searches by the 12th of July. the accident occured on 9 Aug. I have a copy of the accident report and will post the story at a later date on this web site. I'm looking for photos to go with the story. Crowded conditions at the airfield were a factor in the accident. Photos of the crowded conditions would be outstanding. Eniwetok Island is very small at two miles long and a quarter mile wide. The completed airfield was 6,800 feet long and 400 feet wide. on this they had 340 aircraft parked.

DaveT - I am also looking for info on that accident. Your revelation that 345 airplanes were parked on the field sheds some light on it. Any info you care to share from the accident report will be appreciated.
I have been searching JF Baugher's excellent site on USNavy and Marine Corps Bu Nos. Every plane involved is listed, but no pics. Bob Widner

I found this:

VPNAVY - VP-116 Mishap Summary Page - VP Patrol Squadron

09 AUG 44 PB4Y-1 LOCATION: (Eniwetok) STRIKE: Yes BUNO: 38766 CAUSE: Reconnaissance flight. Pilot aborted take-off due to darkness, load and rolling runway and cut throttles. Pilot thought he was still on the runway mat, but was actually airborne. With a thirty degree cross-wind plane drifted to left and into and crashed into parked carrier planes adjacent to the runway. Plane hit first row of parked airplanes, caring away wing tips off the folded wings, and canopies and crashing into parking area fifty-yards past end of runway. The plane burned, with fire spreading to other parked aircraft, low order detonation of 9 x 500lbs bombs was instrumental in extending sphere of damage to include the loss or damage of 106 aircraft. Crew: Pilot Lt Romone C. Anderson A-V(N) USNR/Killed, Ens T. M. Pettit A-V(N) USNR/Killed, Ens O. B. Tully A-V(N) USNR/(died of injuries Aug 15th, 1944), AMM1c L. Johnson USN/Seriously inj, Sea1c H. A. Heper USNR/Killed, ARM1c J. W. Chalmers USNR/Killed, ARM3c A. F. Burkhartemeyer USNR/Seriously inj, AOM2c J. D. Rothwell USNR/Killed, Sea1c A. A. Van Winkle USNR/Killed, Sea1c E. Petri USNR/Killed, and AOM3c G. A. Ehinger USNR/Killed.

Charles

CCHEESE - Thanks much. In one message you scratched an itch that's been bothering me for years. It really does pay to ask!
BTW, there was another accident here in Florida a month after the war ended that cost many, many more planes and vehicles (no lives) but few people remember it. Go to my web site, Aircraft Accidents in Florida From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima and look up Blimps in Florida. Regards, Bob

I have My fathers Crews book from WW-2, He was in the SeaBees he was a chief carpenter mate his name was George Bentz, the book has some pictures of the air strip and the plain that crashed on the Island.
the pictures are not real good because of the age of the book.

I would really like to see the pictures, no matter the condition. I've searched for hours looking for more pictures of Eniwetok. The forward operating base was not used for very long before the war moved on. Any photos of this historic incident are important.
DaveT

I stumbled across this forum and may have some info/pictures from the Eniwetak disaster. My uncle was the sole survivor. He is still alive and turning 90 in November.

saw this one to late but have these to share

Attachments

• stickell_01.jpg
    stickell_01.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 271
  • stickell_02.jpg
    stickell_02.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 252
  • stickell_03.jpg
    stickell_03.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 236
  • stickell_04.jpg