Erich, if you ever want to move! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
As if having a hobby shop mere feet away from my new home, now this! man, I'm really loving this town! Models, coffee and bikes!! wooohooo!

New Pitman shop offers bikes over a cup of joe - NJ.com

New Pitman shop offers bikes over a cup of joe
Saturday, December 12, 2009
By Jessica Driscoll
[email protected]
PITMAN Steve Blackman's passion is cycling and a few weeks ago he was able to make a dream come true in his hometown opening a custom bike shop with a relaxed atmosphere that caters to everyone from the cycling pro to the new rider.

"I've been into cycling since I was about 3 and I always wanted to open my own shop," said Blackman, owner of The Caffeinated Cyclist, which opened on Broadway on Black Friday. "After college I started working at a bike shop and I learned the industry. I grew up here and live here now and the town really seems to be coming around for businesses with the theater and all the new restaurants. There's a lot of foot traffic and it's a central location."

Blackman said he has a lot of "loyal followers" who followed him from his old job to the new shop as well as teammates he races road bikes with and their friends. He's looking forward to developing a wider customer base through word of mouth from happy buyers.

As for the name, "I'm always caffeinated," said Blackman. "I just enjoy coffee. I'm kind of obsessed with it and I can't not drink it. I also always liked the idea of having a bike shop that wasn't so sterile so I've got a couch and free coffee and people can sit and watch me work on their bikes if they want. I don't have a closed shop."

Blackman said he believes the atmosphere is "more inviting" and takes pride in his responsibility for each cycle sold.

"Being a small place and an owner-run shop, I'm the one to build a customer's bike and to fit them so anything that happens with the bike is my responsibility."

The shop sells mostly road and mountain bikes and also carries some hybrid and comfort styles. Blackman can also order kids' BMX bikes but he doesn't carry them in the shop.

"Bikes start at just over $400 for people who are maybe just getting into cycling and they run into the thousands," said Blackman. "When customers come in, I first ask what they want out of a bike, whether it's mountain biking or riding 100 miles on a road. The hybrids can go on regular roads and dirt roads but don't have the high performance of the others. Then, we focus on what model they're looking for and I adjust the bike so it fits them properly."

In his shop, Blackman has a computerized trainer that attaches to the bike and the television to give customers a virtual cycling experience. The trainer allows customers to learn to shift gears and allows Blackman to fit the bike to the right specifications.

"I sold two women road bikes last week and they didn't know how to shift gears so the trainer was very important," said Blackman. "It monitors your rpms and you want to stay in a certain range."

Fitting the bike to the rider ensures maximum efficiency and minimizes injuries and strain to the back and knees.

"It makes riding a more enjoyable experience, which encourages people to cycle more often," he said.

Blackman has been working on bikes for more than 14 years and will repair and adjust bikes from his own shop and others. All of his bikes come with a lifetime service warranty.

The store also sells cycling accessories like helmets, lights, water bottles, locks, air towers and attire.

He coordinates group rides out of the shop a 40-mile road ride on Saturday mornings at 8 a.m. and a mountain bike ride Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. in Ceres Park in Mantua and also allows visitors to pay $10 for virtual timed-trial races on the CompuTrainer. He's also a certified cycling coach who can use the trainer to do fitness tests for customers.

"It's tough for shops in busy areas to offer group areas, so it's a good location for that," said Blackman. "The town has also been really supportive. I joined the chamber of commerce and all the business owners seem to really support each other and are eager to get the word out. I'm glad I chose Pitman."

you got that right brother, nah too stuck here in the west coast of the US of A.

funny I think coffee and cycling suck though so many use it as a useful down time after a good ride, quite common. makes no sense to me as coffee just is not a good thing after the body is sapped of its nutrients.

Chris I wish the guy all the best in the world and the news will spread if he keeps a good sharp attitude, now the question of course beckons will you have the addiction of cycling in your blood stream................hopefully and even when it gets crisp and cold. heck whats a little snow on the ground anyway ?

for all to note my little berg is the # 1 rated town in the US of A for Coffee cartels.........go figure

E ~ ride hard !

I just do pleasure riding Erich, nothing as serious like you do. I have a 10 sp that I rescued out of the trash and just tool around during the summer. Though if it gets cold and I need to go to the store and I don't feel like driving, I have been known to do that.

But now I only need to walk a few sidewalks to my second, third and fourth passions - the prewife counting as #1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back