Everything WE know is wrong. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SaparotRob

Unter Gemeine Geschwader Murmeltier XIII
Mar 12, 2020
Long Island, NY
Inspired by posts on the December 7, 1941 thread.
This is for the dumb or flat out wrong things we have heard about aviation or history in general.

but there are so many !

more Bf 109's were destroyed in landing accidents than were shot down.

all RAF aircraft were fragile

Spitfire was a one trick pony

Spitfire was not a very good one trick pony

P-51's only shot down lots of aircraft because it turned up when the air war was already won

P-39 was the best single engine fighter of the war

British handed out VC's like lollipop

having guns on the engine cowl were twice as effective as guns in the wing

those were just from this forum !

but there are so many !

more Bf 109's were destroyed in landing accidents than were shot down.

all RAF aircraft were fragile

Spitfire was a one trick pony

Spitfire was not a very good one trick pony

P-51's only shot down lots of aircraft because it turned up when the air war was already won

P-39 was the best single engine fighter of the war

British handed out VC's like lollipop

having guns on the engine cowl were twice as effective as guns in the wing

those were just from this forum !
Sorry Rochie, those were myths we busted. I'm thinking more of the lines of:
"Airplanes don't carry torpedoes."
"The Germans weren't in World War Two."
"What war was Saving Private Ryan? The first one, I think."
You know, the good ones.

Not particularly on topic, but again referring to the movie "Dunkirk".
In the reasonably done ( but not exceptional ) aerial sequences, when the Spitfire is firing at the He-111 ( which I will admit was an excellent, large scale RC model, used and photographed very well), where was the sound of cannon fire coming from ?
It can be heard during the cockpit view sequences, as a thump - thump - thump, a much slower RoF, and a "heavier" sound, than the Spitfire's .303 MGs.
It doesn't seem likely that it was supposed to be from the "Bf 109" shown in these scenes, and only one Squadron trialed the cannon-armed Spitfire Mk1 (19 Sqn), but this was after Dunkirk, and it can't have been from the MG15s on the Heinkel.
Did the producers possibly assume that Spits had cannons, as standard, in May / June 1940 ?

.... insane, :)

but, not insane ...

".... What's a worse perversion of history?" .. you ask.

My Answer: The perversion of allowing the infinity larger legacy of Bolshevik monstrosities to be 'accepted' , 'forgiven', 'understood' by our society: schools, media, churches, governments.

PBS runs a Five Part Documentary around the rise of Nazism - a political, tribal, racial perversion that survived for 15 years.
PBS does NOT run documentaries called "The Bolsheviks: Terrorists to Totalitarians - the Bloody Road Still Unfolds.

If I had lived in Berlin and saw ANTIFA running amok in 30's - 1933 .... I would want them STOPPED. Period.

I was talking about someone publicly flat out denying that something happened. PBS, and anyone else for that matter, NOT doing a documentary or publicly acknowledging an atrocity isn't comparable.

.. assuming PBS and others are 'educated' people ... then what you are accepting is called 'credible denial', IIUC.
You forget that our values speak every time we open our mouths ... as a culture ... and what WE DON"T DISCUSS speaks as loudly in its silence as what we do ..... both praising and shaming.
The Holodomor is certainly the equal of the Holocaust in deaths .... and was as certainly planned and executed as any Nazi extermination ... and ... on and on ...
The West didn't report it then and have 'rationalized' it ever since ...

If I had lived in Berlin and saw ANTIFA running amok in 30's - 1933 .... I would want them STOPPED. Period.
Just this last Summer, I had a young person explain how Antifa was doing the American people a service by eradicating Nazis. After a moment of disbelief, I asked them if they actually understood what Antifa was about and they said "Yes! They stopped Nazis in Germany and they will liberate America, too!"
I replied, but kiddo, I think you should have studied history a little harder, Antifaschist Aktion was wiped out by the Sturm Abteilung in the 1930's".
She said "uh, who is that?"
I replied: "The Nazis..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back