EV's: "We're DOOMED, all Doomed, DOOMED I tell you!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

xylstra

Airman 1st Class
Jul 9, 2014
Who are the idiots responsible for the design of Electric Vehicles, specifically the front ends?? Why can't they get it right by producing an streamlined, aesthetically pleasing profile?? Half-a-century on from the vile 1970's it seems they quaffed down the toxic British elixir of design-distopia whose symptoms were the complete inability to design a 'proper' back-end for a car, now, 50 years later they're at it with the front end. Particularly objectional is the phoney 'radiator' grille, vainly attempting to 'fool' the customer by pretending it's just like an I.C. engined car. Please; can we raise the intellectual bar a bit? Even Soviet front-ends from the Moskovitch school of design are preferable to some of the latest offerings many of which resemble a crude piece of personal anatomy. All the design advantages offered by Electric propulsion just seem to have been flagrantly cast aside. We were promised that E.P. would liberate car design by throwing-off the shackles and constraints inflicted on car designers by the I.C. engine.
So what happened????

The front ends of electric vehicles still have to maintain the necessary structural integrity for modern "crumple zone" technology, which allows cars to collapse on impact to absorb the force of collisions and preserve the integrity of the passenger compartments.

-Irish

Maybe they hired the guys from Lexus.....

2021-NX-300-1.png

Who are the idiots responsible for the design of Electric Vehicles, specifically the front ends?? Why can't they get it right by producing an streamlined, aesthetically pleasing profile?? Half-a-century on from the vile 1970's it seems they quaffed down the toxic British elixir of design-distopia whose symptoms were the complete inability to design a 'proper' back-end for a car, now, 50 years later they're at it with the front end. Particularly objectional is the phoney 'radiator' grille, vainly attempting to 'fool' the customer by pretending it's just like an I.C. engined car. Please; can we raise the intellectual bar a bit? Even Soviet front-ends from the Moskovitch school of design are preferable to some of the latest offerings many of which resemble a crude piece of personal anatomy. All the design advantages offered by Electric propulsion just seem to have been flagrantly cast aside. We were promised that E.P. would liberate car design by throwing-off the shackles and constraints inflicted on car designers by the I.C. engine.
So what happened????
I'm a life long car guy. My first car was in high school in the 50's. I've been through the fins, rocket names and look alike the monster land yachts , then the double ugly down sizing. The poor construction then the revival streetrods1. I even built a number of easy to work on hot rods. That got great mileage.

your are right about the electric vehicles. . They are ugly mis sharpened. Things. How about practical? I also managed to participate in assembly line design. Outside of the car design itself. In addition I was in engineering 8n the battery business. So I've been around as it is said. My question is where is the charging power or energ6 going to come from? Battery technology has come a long ways but the power companies are just starting to note that the charging energy has to come from somewhere. Remember physics? If you look where the chemicals

She mined you will se vast quantities of land laid waste . Dwarfing open pit ore mining Here īin Minnesota. Then where are the used up batteries going to be disposed at.eventually the costs will catch up to the relatively low cost of these cars. Electric companies will charge you for the battery charge as well as special plug ins at home. That hasn't quit3 registered yet but it's coming. There will be jobs created installing this stuff but guess who is going to pay for it. Better add a column on your spread sheet for cost per mile For your car. For the electric bill increase . I drifted off topic a bit but it's a concern. I'll have a vas's burner or diesel long before electric.

The front ends of electric vehicles still have to maintain the necessary structural integrity for modern "crumple zone" technology, which allows cars to collapse on impact to absorb the force of collisions and preserve the integrity of the passenger compartments.

-Irish
You're joking! Other paedestrians and 'normal' cars would flee in fright (or fall about gagging) before they ever got close enough to crash. [Hmmm, Maybe that's the reason they're so butt-ugly!!]

I'm a life long car guy. My first car was in high school in the 50's. I've been through the fins, rocket names and look alike the monster land yachts , then the double ugly down sizing. The poor construction then the revival streetrods1. I even built a number of easy to work on hot rods. That got great mileage.

your are right about the electric vehicles. . They are ugly mis sharpened. Things. How about practical? I also managed to participate in assembly line design. Outside of the car design itself. In addition I was in engineering 8n the battery business. So I've been around as it is said. My question is where is the charging power or energ6 going to come from? Battery technology has come a long ways but the power companies are just starting to note that the charging energy has to come from somewhere. Remember physics? If you look where the chemicals

She mined you will se vast quantities of land laid waste . Dwarfing open pit ore mining Here īin Minnesota. Then where are the used up batteries going to be disposed at.eventually the costs will catch up to the relatively low cost of these cars. Electric companies will charge you for the battery charge as well as special plug ins at home. That hasn't quit3 registered yet but it's coming. There will be jobs created installing this stuff but guess who is going to pay for it. Better add a column on your spread sheet for cost per mile For your car. For the electric bill increase . I drifted off topic a bit but it's a concern. I'll have a vas's burner or diesel long before electric.

There is even a bigger issue, gas typically has taxes added that the states use to maintain the roads. As we shift away from gas/diesel the states will be getting less revenue, which means they will have to tag a tax onto electricity instead. So the cost of recharging will be going up.

There is even a bigger issue, gas typically has taxes added that the states use to maintain the roads. As we shift away from gas/diesel the states will be getting less revenue, which means they will have to tag a tax onto electricity instead. So the cost of recharging will be going up.

It is worse here in Australia where electric cars can fill up for free until 2022 with all the infrastructure paid for by us petrol/diesel users. There is a Federal elrection due then so no doubt the government will offer them another 4-5 years free to get votes.

Sorry at6,

EVs and Hybrids are the wave of the future. It will take another 10-15 years to really get going (ie more than 15%* of the cars/SUV will be EVs) but it will happen. There are too many advantages from a societal perspective, both in terms of pollution and in terms of fossil fuel independence. Plus EVs and Hybrids are inherently more reliable.

*In large scale system evolution theory ~15% is generally considered where a system becomes economical due to demand and where the system is large enough to command acceptance from society in terms of economics. The credit card is a good example. When only 5% of the population used credit cards on a daily basis, most stores did not feel compelled to accept them - particularly when the additional complications were taken into consideration. When it reached 10% many stores saw accepting credits as advantageous. When usage reached 15% nearly all stores considered it necessary in order to compete and remain in business, and the additional complication was accepted as an annoyance.

Last edited:
Worse than EVs are bicycles ;)

The bicycle is the slow death of the ECONOMY !!
General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:
"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies.
He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs of roads. He does not use paid parking.
He does not cause serious accidents.
He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.
Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy.
They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors.
Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).
On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."
Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.

Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back