F-16 test (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
This is a test to see what is wrong...

Attachments

• F16A_10_Base.jpg
    F16A_10_Base.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 566
Ah good... :)

I spotted a couple of things after lunch:

I played around with the cockpit to make it blend better, res-scaled the pylons and added the lower pylon.

Also trying out some 'stock' stores fitment - I have a drop tank as well, but I'll save that for later...

Attachments

• F16A_10_Base_2.jpg
    F16A_10_Base_2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 616
Thanks - I'm nearly done - I was just doing the Block 5/10 version (this one is Block 15) and saw it mentioned that the 'horizontal stabilisers are larger on the Block 15'

So I was checking out the line drawings and scratching my head over various things that seemed the same size, when it dawned on me that the horizontal stabiliser controls the vertical stability - in other words it's the damn tailplane... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, it's late, so I will be looking at Block 5 and 10 Israeli a/c tomorrow (after the race of course) and then some US, Italian, Venezuelan, Indonesian, etc. Block 15s too...

Final tweaks done on the Block 15, 2 Sqn BAF one, and a couple of Block 5 Israelis from 117 Sqn:

Attachments

• F16A_Belgium_2Sqn_1.png
    F16A_Belgium_2Sqn_1.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 575
  • F16A_Israel_117Sqn_1.png
    F16A_Israel_117Sqn_1.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 607
  • F16A_Israel_117Sqn_2.png
    F16A_Israel_117Sqn_2.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 497
Clave, I'm your biggest fan. Looks awesome, buddy.

My constructive comments:

1) Cockpit canopy is too small. Needs more height.

2) Intake is too small, this too needs more height.

3) RWR and engine nozzle have too much gap between them. I would suggest less convergence from tailbase to the engine nozzle (make it more straight). If you are depicting a closed (restricted) nozzle, then work on less convergence from tailbase to beginning of engine nozzle.

4) The outter wing pylons are wired for AIM-9s, but I think their centerline matches the wingtip mounted AIM-9s.

5) I recall a UHF/VHF antenna at the base of the tail strake.

6) Your lower nose line has a bit too much droop.

7) Your droptanks need to have less pitch (a few degrees lower than fuselage centerline)

8) There is a UHF/VHF antenna under the nose just aft of the nose radome.

9) Your lightning/precipitation static radome lines looks a little too pronounced.

10) The precip static probes on your aft vertical fin look a little large.

11) Your RWR depiction may be Isreali. I've never seen a round RWR on US aircraft. Others can correct me, but I have always seen it as a faired rectangle as viewed from a port/starboard depiction.

12) The IRSTs just aft of the radome don't look quite long enough.

Keep 'em comin'!! Looks awesome!

Clave, I'm your biggest fan. Looks awesome, buddy. Thank you! :D

1) Cockpit canopy is too small. Needs more height. Agreed - fixed.

2) Intake is too small, this too needs more height. Agreed - The edge needed to be sharp as well - fixed

3) RWR and engine nozzle have too much gap between them. I would suggest less convergence from tailbase to the engine nozzle (make it more straight). If you are depicting a closed (restricted) nozzle, then work on less convergence from tailbase to beginning of engine nozzle. Can't agree with this - a photo placed on the drawing matched the line exactly...

4) The outter wing pylons are wired for AIM-9s, but I think their centerline matches the wingtip mounted AIM-9s. Good point and I realise what is wrong now - the outer pylons are missing - there should be an inner large pylon, a centre large pylon, and a small outer pylon just for Sidewinders - I will fix that next...I have put a bomb on the 'middle' pylon for now, just for reference...

5) I recall a UHF/VHF antenna at the base of the tail strake. I have not seen that anywhere, have you any pics?

6) Your lower nose line has a bit too much droop. I'm not convinced either way on this, but I'm not ruling it out either...

7) Your droptanks need to have less pitch (a few degrees lower than fuselage centerline) Agreed and fixed - may need more 'tilt' ?

There is a UHF/VHF antenna under the nose just aft of the nose radome. Agreed - on some a/c - I think there are a variety - the Israeli aircraft I'm using for my 'test bed' also has aerials under the intake - also variable in size position and quantity...

9) Your lightning/precipitation static radome lines looks a little too pronounced. Agreed - please check if they are OK now...

10) The precip static probes on your aft vertical fin look a little large. Agreed - fixed

11) Your RWR depiction may be Isreali. I've never seen a round RWR on US aircraft. Others can correct me, but I have always seen it as a faired rectangle as viewed from a port/starboard depiction. Just a shading issue - I think it's better now...?

12) The IRSTs just aft of the radome don't look quite long enough. Not sure what/where these are - if they are on the tailplane, then I have made them longer...

Keep 'em comin'!! Looks awesome! Thanks again - great comments! 8)

The three pylons (2 large, 1 small) this will be added soon:

F-16C_330-05.jpg

Attachments

• F16A_Test_Base.jpg
    F16A_Test_Base.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 487
Oh, and I will be doing more, including adding victory marks, different countries and squadrons, after me and Wayne agree on the basic structure :idea:

Also changed since last time: Rear half of canopy - made darker.

Thanks for not slamming me on my comments. I do really find your art wonderful. Here are some pics

Attachments

• F16_1st_26_jun_05.jpg
    F16_1st_26_jun_05.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 893
  • F-16C_330-05.jpg
    F-16C_330-05.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,288
Clave, I'm your biggest fan. Looks awesome, buddy. Thank you! :D

1) Cockpit canopy is too small. Needs more height. Agreed - fixed.

2) Intake is too small, this too needs more height. Agreed - The edge needed to be sharp as well - fixed

3) RWR and engine nozzle have too much gap between them. I would suggest less convergence from tailbase to the engine nozzle (make it more straight). If you are depicting a closed (restricted) nozzle, then work on less convergence from tailbase to beginning of engine nozzle. Can't agree with this - a photo placed on the drawing matched the line exactly...

See my pic above. It's a nit I must admit, but caught my eye.

4) The outter wing pylons are wired for AIM-9s, but I think their centerline matches the wingtip mounted AIM-9s. Good point and I realise what is wrong now - the outer pylons are missing - there should be an inner large pylon, a centre large pylon, and a small outer pylon just for Sidewinders - I will fix that next...I have put a bomb on the 'middle' pylon for now, just for reference...

5) I recall a UHF/VHF antenna at the base of the tail strake. I have not seen that anywhere, have you any pics?

It's actually in the pic you posted. I admit that not all models have this blade antenna.

6) Your lower nose line has a bit too much droop. I'm not convinced either way on this, but I'm not ruling it out either...

See my pic that I posted for you. Looks just slightly off, or perhaps the intake is still a bit small?

7) Your droptanks need to have less pitch (a few degrees lower than fuselage centerline) Agreed and fixed - may need more 'tilt' ?

Yes a bit more I might suggest.

There is a UHF/VHF antenna under the nose just aft of the nose radome. Agreed - on some a/c - I think there are a variety - the Israeli aircraft I'm using for my 'test bed' also has aerials under the intake - also variable in size position and quantity...

Agreed, check out my second pic above just forward of the "nose droop" redline.

9) Your lightning/precipitation static radome lines looks a little too pronounced. Agreed - please check if they are OK now...

:thumbup:

10) The precip static probes on your aft vertical fin look a little large. Agreed - fixed

11) Your RWR depiction may be Isreali. I've never seen a round RWR on US aircraft. Others can correct me, but I have always seen it as a faired rectangle as viewed from a port/starboard depiction. Just a shading issue - I think it's better now...?

:thumbup:

12) The IRSTs just aft of the radome don't look quite long enough. Not sure what/where these are - if they are on the tailplane, then I have made them longer...

See my second pic above..

Keep 'em comin'!! Looks awesome! Thanks again - great comments! 8)

Your welcome!!

I would never slam people for constructive comments - I think this is a complex area with many possible answers...

First off the RWR/tail area - There are 2 or 3 different possibilities here - The Dutch, Belgian, and some US ones have the extended fairing with parachute, but the distance from the tail on a direct side view is tricky - I matched the attached photo pretty closely for the 'short' version. The 'long' version I will look at again on my Belgian re-draw...

The blade (VHF?) aerial - I see your pic, and will definitely add that where appropriate (It is shown on Block 52 line drawing - there may be others with it fitted too...)

The IRSTs I have extended after looking at the pictures.

Still not certain about the nose - on some photos I would agree, but on others, not... going to think about this for a while...

Outer pylon/rail added.

Tank tilted some more.

I'm going to put up unarmed and armed versions for a final (ish) check over.

Also added photo for comparison of tail (short) and nose.

Attachments

• F16A_Test_Unarmed.jpg
    F16A_Test_Unarmed.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 467
  • F16A_Test_Armed.jpg
    F16A_Test_Armed.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 476
  • 1524419.jpg
    1524419.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 497
Thanks Matt - I am getting there... :)

I'm still working out whether the 'tail-gap' thing is inconsistency or real difference.

You are definitely right about it in some cases though - I have taken some shots of the line drawings, and there are possible differences across the Blocks. (Ignoring the parachute fitted version)

Crappy picture, but you can see what I mean here:

Oh, and I just noticed the RWR is larger on Block 52, I will have to change that if I get that far....

Attachments

• tail gaps.jpg
    tail gaps.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
First three Block 5 aircraft with 'narrow gap' tails

110 Sqn and 117 Sqn x 2 - Including the 6.5 kill '107'....

Attachments

• F16A_Israel_110Sqn_1.png
    F16A_Israel_110Sqn_1.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 293
  • F16A_Israel_117Sqn_1.png
    F16A_Israel_117Sqn_1.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 327
  • F16A_Israel_117Sqn_2.png
    F16A_Israel_117Sqn_2.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back