F-18 down near Miramar (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Breaking news:
A military plane crashed just east of MCAS Miramar Thursday, officials said. According to initial reports, the pilot of the F-18 ejected and was located by military personnel.

According to a News 8 report, the plane crashed in what looked to be a remote area just after noon.

Military personnel located the pilot, who reportedly parachuted out of the plane before the crash. The pilot's condition is unknown.

The crash sparked a small brush fire in the area, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque. Fire crews were dispatched to fight the blaze. Low wind conditions are expected to aid firefighters in containment.

The cause of the crash was not known.

I hope the pilot is ok.

It's the 2nd USMC Hornet gone down this year... we lost one by NAS Key West in January I think it was... he ejected also. Miramar is close by San Diego, just a few miles north. From what I remember out there the weather is generally very nice, fog in the early mornings but usually dissipates by mid morning. Clear skies... never rains. Lots of rolling hills out there and scrub brush.

We have had some Santa Ana winds blowing pretty hard. I think it will be a while before they make a determination what happened. I am sure the pilot has an idea, but there will be a formal investigation before anything is publicly released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back