F-22 hundred of times more stealthy than Su-57?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's why if it's not Boeing, I ain't going!

9B3FDE21-EE6E-4DB5-B014-A27FF8E8306C.gif

OK, let this be a lesson, never do math in your head in public. If you are going to say something in numbers actually calculate the numbers, or don't be surprised if you mess it up.

The general statement I was making remains the same, the smaller RCS target will always be tracked at shorter maximum ranges, all other things being equal. But the specific numbers I used are incorrect. It appears that at the beginning of this thread I flipped a bit in my head (maybe used the approximate ratios for -40 dBsm instead of -20 dBsm reduction?), got that number stuck in there, and never cross checked after that.

Reading through this thread I see that I repeatedly said something along the lines of "a 20 dB reduction in RCS yields a detection range of 1/10 the original RCS detection range". This is an incorrect statement from the get-go. A 20 dBsm reduction would reduce the detection range by about 70%, not 90%. I even said "using the radar range equation you can calculate", and then I did not actually use that equation to calculate anything but instead I rounded things and guesstimated based on my original error. My bad.

The example I used was the ASR-11. It has a stated performance parameter of being able to detect and track a 0 dBsm target at 55 nm, or 102 km. And then I said that means it can track a -10 dBsm target at 32 km and a -30 dBsm target at 3.2 km. Those values I stated are wrong, even as rounded estimates. A more correct rounded estimate would be a -10 dBsm target at about 56 km, a -20 dBsm target at about 31 km, a -30 dBsm target at about 17 km, and a -40 dBsm target would be about 9 km.

Sorry about that, hope this clears up any bad take aways. But my basic point still stands, there is a significant detection range delta between the two aircraft.

T!
I worked in ultrasonics for years so am familiar with decibels as a logarithmic unit of comparison is a "0 dB sm target" some sort of RADAR industry reference?

So, you wouldn't fly on a Comac C919 or CRAIC CR929 ?

Aside from performance, reliability and revenue ability, I'm wondering (skeptically) if they have the ability to support it logistically and provide the training and product support that both Boeing and Airbus can do?

Not yet anyway. But if we look at what some of the US, UK, and French aerospace companies have accomplished in the past when they considered time to implementation more important than some other aspects (cost to the developing nation for example), the time involved may be fairly short for that type of thing.

Not yet anyway. But if we look at what some of the US, UK, and French aerospace companies have accomplished in the past when they considered time to implementation more important than some other aspects (cost to the developing nation for example), the time involved may be fairly short for that type of thing.
I can't imagine the FAA or EASA allowing the Comac C919 to fly within its airspace until it's well tested for safety. Mind you, the Sukhoi Superjet got okayed, and we're all seeing the quality of Russian kit.

I look forward to seeing the BAE Tempest and Mitsubishi F-X in the next decade. The Russians just can't compete.
Its a good point. Russia are already way behind the curve in the research, development and build with regards to stealth. The above two project plus no doubt a follow on USA project will make the gap insurmountable

I worked in ultrasonics for years so am familiar with decibels as a logarithmic unit of comparison is a "0 dB sm target" some sort of RADAR industry reference?

Yes, detection range of a 0 dBsm target is a common and often quoted measurement of radar performance.

0 dBsm would be a 1 square meter RCS target (this is the Radar Cross Section value, not to be confused with the actual physical size of a target). One common measurement of radar performance is the range at which a 1 square meter RCS target (0 dBsm) can be detected with a defined probability of detection (often set at 80%). This detection range is identifiable and can be calculated using the radar range equation, assuming you know the key parameters of a given radar. All variables of a given radars performance, things like transmitter power, antenna gain, receiver noise figure, transmitted signal bandwidth, receiver filter bandwidth, etc, go into determining the detection range for a given size target.

T!

It seemed clear to me he was talking about the Moskva that was recently sunk. That was certainly designed to attack CAGs, with its loadout. I don't know how much ASW gear it had, but it's main-deck missile-racks speak to its mission. It also had what for the time was a healthy counter-air capability.

The statement I was responding to was "The Moskva class was supposed to be a carrier group killer." The poster has clarified that he meant to say "The Moskva's class", but auto correct seemed to think he should be talking about something else.

The original statement was the reason for the second part of my question / comment. The words used in the statement I was responding too were about the "Moskva class" of ships. The Moskva, which was recently sunk, was. by definition, NOT a Moskva class ship, but rather a Slava class ship. The "Moskva class" of ships was a completely different critter.

The "Moskva" that the Ukrainians sank was originally named the "Slava", and she was the lead ship in the Slava class of cruisers. She was renamed the "Moskva" in 1995. This did lead to an odd situation, for an overlapping period of time (sort of) there were two ships named "Moskva" in the Russian Navy. But if I remember right, neither were operational during this overlap. One was the lead ship of the Moskva class helicopter ASW cruiser, and one was the renamed lead ship of the Slava class cruisers.

The Moskva (a Slava class ship) was indeed designed to oppose a carrier, at least as developed, not as much in todays world. The SS-N-12 Sandbox (originally 4K80 and later 3M70) was literally designed to kill carriers. But, how it would fair in todays Aegis world is a bit different from how it would have done in the mid 1970's (original P-500 Sandbox) and early 1980's (follow-on P-1000 Sandbox) world it was designed for. It only carried 16 of them, and todays Aegis based systems are better in a dense threat environment. And the S-300FM / SA-N-6 (sea going version of the S-300 / SA-10, but with a different radar) was arguably among the best SAM systems in the world at the time. The SA-N-4 was no slouch either, but not as cutting edge.

The Moskva class of ships, however, were primarily ASW platforms with no capability to take on a carrier.

T!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back