F-35 Crash, New Video (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The first pic (aircraft in water) and first video (aircraft about to land) released I think were 'bootleg" I think this one was officially released.

Another... Can pilots tell us, was eject necessary here?
YES! I hate to speculate but if you watch the clip there was smoke emitting from the aircraft during hover. To me it looks like the pilot was trying to troubleshoot an issue. It seems he decided to land and after the aircraft made contact to the ground something went incredibly wrong and he lost control of the aircraft. The F-35B has a lift fan that might have caused surges when this pilot was trying to shut things down.

Again, I heard this was a production test flight, the aircraft had not been delivered to the government. The test pilots flying these test flights are very well trained and know what they are doing.

... The test pilots flying these test flights are very well trained and know what they are doing.

My first thought was why punch out? Then I remember my tank had a master caution light, a warning light and fire. Pilot my have received multiple alarms. Luckily, it was not over the population and safe to deboard the plane through the closest marked exit.

Last edited:
YES! I hate to speculate but if you watch the clip there was smoke emitting from the aircraft during hover. To me it looks like the pilot was trying to troubleshoot an issue. It seems he decided to land and after the aircraft made contact to the ground something went incredibly wrong and he lost control of the aircraft. The F-35B has a lift fan that might have caused surges when this pilot was trying to shut things down.

Again, I heard this was a production test flight, the aircraft had not been delivered to the government. The test pilots flying these test flights are very well trained and know what they are doing.
Thanks, good info. Does it look repairable? Does an ejection cause a lot of cockpit damage that can result in a write-off?

Repairability is going to depend on what is found when the a/c is recovered and inspected. Everything can be fixed, but the question becomes a financial one too, at some point. Once you reach a cost estimate, or a technological hurdle that is too expensive, then the airframe becomes a ground trainer and is relegated to classroom usage.

Thanks, good info. Does it look repairable? Does an ejection cause a lot of cockpit damage that can result in a write-off?
IMO it looks repairable. An ejection can do some damage to an airframe, I'm sure that there are repair procedures in the aircraft's MMs for ejection events.

I remember an event at Lockheed Burbank where the crew of an S-3 ejected during a production test flight. IIRC on of the crew perished when his chute didn't deploy properly. The aircraft was salvaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back