F-35 DAMAGED DURING CAS TRAINING MISSION

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yea....that was every headline I looked at so I thought I would make mine a bit more realistic
Even more hysterically, the article quotes several other aircraft shooting themselves, happily no humans were involved in any way.

Better report states that it was a SAPHEI-T round that went off, just past the muzzle. It's been classified as a Class A mishap, so will be an expensive fix for the airframe. Had it been an APEX round, damage would have most likely been even worse, with a probably loss of the aircraft.

Seems this generation of designers have not given any attention to the fiasco of not putting internal guns into the F-4 Phantom, would venture to guess the "stealth" capabilities of the airframe are compromised by hanging that pod off it too.

Seems this generation of designers have not given any attention to the fiasco of not putting internal guns into the F-4 Phantom, would venture to guess the "stealth" capabilities of the airframe are compromised by hanging that pod off it too.
The F-35 has (or can have) internal guns, there is a video showing it, a very tricky piece of kit, but this is a different weapon for close air support.

The A model has an internal gun. The B and C models were specified from the start to not have internal guns. Adding internal guns to them would require significant redesign of the airframes.

The F-35A (Air Forces version) HAS an internal 25mm gun.

The F-35B and F-35C do not - they have the capability to carry a Terma A/S multi-mission pod (MMP) carrying the GAU-22/A and 220 rounds; the pod is mounted on the centerline of the aircraft and shaped to reduce its radar cross-section. In lieu of the gun, the pod can also be used for different equipment and purposes, such as electronic warfare, aerial reconnaissance, or rear-facing tactical radar.
F-35B gun pod 3.jpg
F-35B gun pod lg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back