F-35 offical name to be almost decided

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

R988

Senior Airman
Oct 25, 2005
Londonium
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/14599468.htm

Five years after the Pentagon embarked on the joint strike fighter program, the Lockheed Martin F-35 is just weeks away from getting a name, and the final recommendations are as closely guarded as plans for an Air Force bombing strike.

Overseeing the naming process is Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley, the Air Force chief of staff who grew up in Grand Prairie.

After soliciting recommendations from the military services and eight partner nations helping develop the plane, top Air Force officials have narrowed the list to a handful of finalists and are moving toward a decision by the end of June, Moseley's spokesman said Saturday.

"We're down to a few," said Maj. Glen Roberts. "We're in the finals."

what's the point for you guys? you always use the number anyway? it's mostly so bit fat clueless americans can brag about what new super plane they just saw "howdy partner, i just saw me a newfangled..." and most people just judge the plane on it's name anyway "it's called the falcon, it must be good, that must make us the best in the world", sadly CC already does this, all your names suck anyway, British names have, all through aviation history, been better.............

the lancaster kicks *** said:
British names have, all through aviation history, been better.............
Fulmar? Flamingo? Blenheim? Skua? Roc? Singapore? Hardy? Tomtit? Prefect? Come on dude - some of the names you guys picked (especially in the 1930s) sound like they belong in a Shakesphere Play or a gay bathhouse!!!!

And judging a plane by it's name??? Where did you come up with that?!? :rolleyes:

Fury, tempest, Spitfire, Hunter, Shark, Firebrand, Liberator, Defiant, Hornet, Gladiator, Meteor, Tornado, Whirlwind, mustang, lightening, Jaguar, Javelin, Phantom, Vampire, Victor, amoungst many others are all great names that, whilst not always justified at times, all inspire fear into their opponents, and hope to the people that turn their heads skyward and see their planes, left to come up with your own names what do you do? you just prefix the word Fortress with ever more graphic words............

Fury, tempest, Spitfire, Hunter, Shark, Firebrand, Liberator, Defiant, Hornet, Gladiator, Meteor, Tornado, Whirlwind, mustang, lightening, Jaguar, Javelin, Phantom, Vampire, Victor, amoungst many others are all great names that, whilst not always justified at times, all inspire fear into their opponents, and hope to the people that turn their heads skyward and see their planes, left to come up with your own names what do you do? you just prefix the word Fortress with ever more graphic words............
Thunderbolt, Flyingfortress, Superfortress, Starfighter, Delta Dart, Delta Dagger, Thunderchief, Sabrejet, Lancer, Voodoo, Bearcat, Tomcat, Hellcat, Scorpion, Eagle, Viper, Stratofortress, Peacekeeper, Intruder, Invader, Skyraider.....

We use prefixes cause we're more organized! :evil4:

Besides what is more fearful than hearing someone say HOLY SH*T, HERE COMES A B-52!!!!!

You were saying?!? ;)

Thunderbolt

British name ;)

oh look, here comes a flying fortress, it must be old, large, heavy with a fair ammount of defensive power but no offensive ability (quite close to the truth really), i bet that would've been so scary, then you get the superfortress (by this stage it appears you've lost the ability to use spaces), now it sounds the same as before, but a little older and heavier, and by the Stratofortress it's just old and booring, and how the hell does the name Peacekeeper make you fearfull :lol:

how the hell does the name Peacekeeper make you fearfull :lol:

When you see a sky full of these...

6BWB-36formationbig.jpg

carrying a bunch of these...

MK-17TNBomb.jpg

;)

"oh look, here comes a flying fortress, it must be old, large, heavy with a fair ammount of defensive power but no offensive ability (quite close to the truth really), i bet that would've been so scary"

Ask Germans who were bombed by them if it was scary or not. I would put my money on most Germans thinking that a stream of B-17s overhead was extremely scary.

Explain how the name 'Mustang' creates a sense of fear? Or the name Mosquito? Or, any of the bombers names in World War II from the RAF? They were all named after cities. But I don't think Germans said "Here comes the Lancaster, it's full of drips ... " (For anyone that doesn't know a 'drip' is someone from Lancashire).

I have to repeat the question that Joe asked, since when did people judge a plane by it's name? I have never, in my life, heard anyone say F-15 'Eagle' it must be good because of that name!

And Peacemaker can instill a lot of fear when the said plane can carry 86,000-lbs worth of explosive to drop on you.

Ha! None of you can beat the name of the only Canadian combat jet to ever see production: The "Canuck"!!! :shock:

What the hell could be scarier than that, eh? :lol:

Christ, what a stupid name for a warplane. :rolleyes:

Nonskimmer said:
Ha! None of you can beat the name of the only Canadian combat jet to ever see production: The "Canuck"!!! :shock:

What the hell could be scarier than that, eh? :lol:

Christ, what a stupid name for a warplane. :rolleyes:

What about the "DIGBY?" :rolleyes:

And they mean what in English?

It's like saying the Spanish name Búchon was good, until you realise it translates to Pigeon.

Veltro = Greyhound
Ariete = Ram
Pipistrello = Bat
Sparviero = Sparrow
Saggitario = Archer
Falco = Hawk
Canguru = Kangaroo

I think thats what they are, I dont know the others. The animal theme was prominent, in the same way that the engines were named after winds.

The name they gave to the Re.2001 (Ariete) was so good, they called the Re.2002 Ariete II ;)

Yes, Kangeroo and Sparrow are so menacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back