F 4U 1A cockpit detail

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlexiBull

Airman 1st Class
Feb 9, 2009
Hi guys more questions about the F 4U.

I am trying to find more about the bullet proof screen in the cockpit. It's always the same two conflicting piece of the jigsaw

Image 1 is from the Tamiya kit. Image 2 come from a Google search on the same topic along with image3 which if this is a full size cockpit windshield seems to suggest that image 2 is closer that the kit. I have searched my references and seem to think that neither are correct.

Also unrelated but what are the three circular mouldings in a triangle on the underside between the exhaust stacks?

Any help appreciated

Roger

Attachments

• P1030818 (Large).JPG
    P1030818 (Large).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 155
  • rates007 (Large).jpg
    rates007 (Large).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 39 (Large).jpg
    39 (Large).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 134
Hi Roger, i am also building the same bird and these are my references, the first one from the pilots manual, which can be found in here, and the second one from a book

Forward.gif

corsair20cockpit_.gif

This is what i have done in this area with Aires help

P1020553.jpg

P1020558.jpg

This picture as well as the ones you posted i think are from later versions

F4U_cockpit_300.gif

Hi there Xaxos,

Some nice detail on that canopy.
Very interesting in that the first two images show a rectangular screen whereas the last image shows a tapering screen.
One thing is that the Tamiya one is too thick and the wrong rectangular shape.

BTW had one great holiday in Rethymnon some years back - - Ah the memories

Roger

I dont know Roger, you see i used Aires cockpit for my built, so i did not bother with the tamiya's one. If you dont have something else Tamiya's is the one, except if you are willing to scratch build one, but it seems difficult to me at least.
Nice to hear that you liked my island, sun, beaches and beautifull ladies:p:p:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back