F-86 of Capt. Charles McSwain Suwon, Korea (1953)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Okay I know I said an Il-2 was up but I need to do a build to get me back into it. This beat up Monogram F-86 i scored for 5 bucks on ebay I decided was a good one. Thanks to Karl for the Decals...I don't care if the cockpit Grey is dark I'm just doing a quick, simple build to get the ball rolling. I have never built a jet before but I think this one will go at a good pace.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 238
Its a fairly straight forward kit.
You'll need weight in the nose, I forgot and had to sneak it in after.
I painted the yellow and black stripes so I am not sure how the decals will fit
I've got another one coming along with a F-80
got both for less than the F-80 I could buy here!

Good stuff H. The Academy decals work, but if you use the yellow bands, you'll need a lot of decal solution, especially on the fuselage, and the wing leading edges, as they're quite thick.

If anything goes wrong with the stripes, B-17, I have a spare set I can send you. They are also Academy.

Geo

Thanks Geo! This one is going to be more about my overall build getting it back up to par than detailing. Have quite a few interesting birds I want to do after this. I just need to see a finished product of my own to get me motivated (after a emotionally draining Do-17 :lol: )

Also thanks T!

Be careful on the decals its odd but some react well to decal solution, some don't :D

I have this kit in 1/48 and will start building it in 1/72 soon with the same markings for mike's bird :)

I've been to the rodeo with their decals a couple times and it is so odd, sometimes they are perfect and others horrible :D use the solution carefully :D

Igor :)

When I built the Academy kit, the only decal problem, apart from the previously mentioned 'thick' stripes, was placement - they wanted to stick where they were initially placed!
Also, the checkers for the tail fin were the opposite - they were quite thin, and one tore quite easily, requiring re-touching later.
And if you mess up, and then mess up again with Geo's decals, I have a spare set too, although it's from the other Academy kit.

When I built the Academy kit, the only decal problem, apart from the previously mentioned 'thick' stripes, was placement - they wanted to stick where they were initially placed!
Also, the checkers for the tail fin were the opposite - they were quite thin, and one tore quite easily, requiring re-touching later.
And if you mess up, and then mess up again with Geo's decals, I have a spare set too, although it's from the other Academy kit.

Thanks T! I made some more progress on the discolored cockpit today, going to do some more tomorrow then post a few progress pictures! I just was having hard time with motivation but this new subject peaked my interest so I feel good now

Instrument Panel...painted grey, then did each individual dial in black, and finally dry brushed white to achieve final effect.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 212

Users who are viewing this thread

Back