F-86 Sabre airfoil section

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wind_Minstral

Recruit
Mar 14, 2009
Sydney
G'day,
I am a student studying aeronautical engineering at Sydeny Uni in Australia and I have been given an assignment on Figure of Merit calculations. Things like best climb rate, top speed, tighest turn angle, take off length that sort of stuff.
The calculations at the moment are simplified but I need the airfoil section for the F-86A Sabre so that I can find technical data for my calculations.
If someone could provide me with the code or a link to data taken for the section I would be very greatful.

Cheers,

Byron

G'day,
I am a student studying aeronautical engineering at Sydeny Uni in Australia and I have been given an assignment on Figure of Merit calculations. Things like best climb rate, top speed, tighest turn angle, take off length that sort of stuff.
The calculations at the moment are simplified but I need the airfoil section for the F-86A Sabre so that I can find technical data for my calculations.
If someone could provide me with the code or a link to data taken for the section I would be very greatful.

Cheers,

Byron

The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage

NACA 0009.5-64 (Root) NACA 0008.5-64 (tip) for F-86A

Thank you very much, Sorry for the late reply I've been frantic with this assignment and have been compiling my bibliography.

Yours in Aero,
Byron

Thank you very much, Sorry for the late reply I've been frantic with this assignment and have been compiling my bibliography.

Yours in Aero,
Byron

Byron - your more difficult series of calculations will have to deal with effect of leading edge slats on very low speed, high gross weight, performance metrics (i.e. short field landing).

Ditto turn performance. If you engage in doing a free body diagram and then develop equations of Motion to attempt to calculate time to complete 360 degree turn at constant altitude - you will have some fun particularly as you integrate the changes to energy as the 86 sheds velocity to increase the high bank angle, high AoA, to maintain altitude!

What assumptions do you plan to make - and do you intend to look at slab tail of 86E or conventional elevator of the 86A. Trim drag will be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back