F2G Super Corsair handling

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trilisser

Airman 1st Class
May 22, 2011
Does anyone have an original handling report on the F2G? I recall Goodyear CTP Don Armstrong describing it as the best handling of all Corsairs...

The XF2G was at the 1944 Fighter Meet but no one flew it so no PIREPS. I have read that the F4U4 was the nicest handling Corsair and would be surprised if the F2G with the big engine and the bubble canopy did not have some longtudinal stability problems.

Here's the description given during the Oct 44 conference. FYI Mr. Armstrong is the Goodyear rep at the conference.

Attachments

• F2G Narrative.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
The words that pop into my mind are "lead tipped arrow". Just going on the difference in weight between teh R-2800 and the R-4360.

According to some pilots who have flown them around the museum, it handled very well indeed and was lighter than some of the R-2800 models. The all-up weight was less than for some others. Normal loaded weight as a fighter was 13,346 lbs.. I have seen a max T. O. of 15,422 lbs., but I do not think that was true during the war ... it was later, in peacetime. Normal max for F4U-4 was 14,533 lbs., which is 1,000 pounds heavier than the F2G in fighter trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back