F4U-? Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Found this picture of a Corsair from NAS Livermore, Ca.

I lived there from '69 till '96. Knew there was a training field there, which is now Lawrence Livermore National Lab, yep That one. The one that keeps getting demonstrated.

I think this one will be my next 1/48th kit to build, but need to know which model F4U.

Bill

Attachments

• LVK F4U.jpg
    LVK F4U.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 211
It seems lesofprimus, Dan, has unsuspectingly answered my question. In taking a very close look at his F4U-1D build, I am sure this one from LVK is in fact an F4U-1D.

Thanks Dan.
Would you "concur"?

Attachments

• VOUGHT_F4U_1D_1.JPG
    VOUGHT_F4U_1D_1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 580
Could be, but I wonder if it might be an F4U-4. The length of the tail gear is definitely the taller version on the later models. If the photo was clearer, we might be able to make out the BuNo, which would tell us for sure.

Tail wheel may be slightly higher, but the -4 differs fromt he -1D mainly that it has a different cowl with a chin inlet on the bottom, the exhaust pattern is slightly different, and they installled a 4 bladed prop, and usually a flat wind screen....

Ur pic is that of a late-model F4U-1D with new tailwheel assembly...

The wing root undersides were different on the -4 also, due to the chin intake and revised cowl... There was a fairing under each sides' wingroot at the fuselage/wing intersection, which helps transition from the flatter cowl underside to the roundish fuselage....

I do have a larger picture, the Bu no appears to be 92041.
Does this help? Could this be an FG-1D if it is in order as listed below?

This text below was taken from the listed web site of serial numbers.
92041 seems to have been overlooked.

http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/thirdseries10.html

Goodyear FG-1D Corsair

set piston fighter endurance record of 17 hours 5 minues Jan 23, 1946.

(c/n 3305) to New Zealand as NZ5648. Currently airworthy with the Old Flying Machine Company in the UK. This serial may not be genuine since 88391 (c/n 3205) to New Zealand as NZ5648. Made airworthy as NX55JP. Now with Old Flying Machine Company at Duxford, UK as G-BXUL painted in US Navy colors with false BuNo 92844. Registered Feb 23, 2006 to Air Tight Trust of Ardmore, New Zealand as ZK-COR

registered as N194G with James Axtell of Elizabeth, CO.

Last edited:
So then, can anyone ID serial number 92041?
I am unable to.

(must check entry before posting)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I didn't check the text before posting. Corrected above.

Wasn't looking to fill the cabinet with one big one. Was looking at the Tamiya 61085 F4U-1D with the tow motor in 1/48th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back