F6F-3 Hellcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
After a rough day of landing support.......
The bombs do read "Tojo" and "Hirohito". Saw photos here of deck armorers painting labels on aircraft bombs.
Next in line is a "Where Eagles Dare" Texan/Harvard playing a German fighter.

Attachments

• P3090005.JPG
    P3090005.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • P4280005.JPG
    P4280005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • P4280006.JPG
    P4280006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • P4280008.JPG
    P4280008.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • P4280010.JPG
    P4280010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • P4280011.JPG
    P4280011.JPG
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 104
  • P4280012.JPG
    P4280012.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • P4280014.JPG
    P4280014.JPG
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 103
  • P4280015.JPG
    P4280015.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • P4280016.JPG
    P4280016.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • Hellcat underside.jpg
    Hellcat underside.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 150
Good stuff - looking forward to the "German" Harvard.
A few years ago. I started on making some "movie star" aircraft, with the 'Buchon' shown below, from the BoB movie, being one of them.
Maybe we could start a thread featuring movie aircraft ?

Buchon build 104.jpg

Good stuff - looking forward to the "German" Harvard.
A few years ago. I started on making some "movie star" aircraft, with the 'Buchon' shown below, from the BoB movie, being one of them.
Maybe we could start a thread featuring movie aircraft ?

View attachment 621294
Quick question regarding the W.E.D. Harvard......I've got a couple web images of the topside of the planes and that "winter camo" scheme, but I can't tell from the chase scene video or any other pictures I've found, whether the undersides of the W.E.D. Harvards are finished in white or the typical Hellblau color so prevalent in German fighters. Any clues?
Thanks!!

I think they were painted, for the movie, with "washable" white paint over the existing colour scheme, but I'll do a bit of digging to see if I can find out what the underlying colours were, and get back to you.

Although the movie was filmed in Austria, as I suspected, the Harvards were sold to the film company by the Swiss Air Force ( the Ju-52/3M was also Swiss, and was the one that crashed in the Alps a year or two back ).
The Swiss Harvards were ex - RAF aircraft and, when in service with the Swiss, were finished in painted "Aluminium", with a black anti-glare panel, probably as delivered from the RAF at the time, as seen in the pic below (Credit : Kyburz, via Stapfer, from the Squadron Signal "In Action" book ).
I'm now assuming that, for the movie, they were painted in a similar colour scheme to the Ju-52/3M, which would make sense, being the "easy option" for the production team, having all aircraft in the same colour scheme.
I'd have to watch the movie again to determine the underside colour, but I have the feeling it was probably the overall colour, white, with the upper surfaces having the green stripes / mottle.
That said, a light blue underside,, like RLM 65, wouldn't look out of place on the model, if you so desire.

Swiss Harvards.jpg

Great stuff my friend, and confirming my thoughts.
I tried the movie database earlier, but couldn't get connected. I've now looked at it via the link you posted, and notice that it states the Harvards were "loaned by the Austrian Air Force".
All other sources state they were sold to the production company by the Swiss Air Force, and were Ex-RAF, with at least one source listing the Swiss serial numbers.

THX ...... and here two shots posted above but corrected with the Gama correction and reduced saturation of the blue. With no doubt the planes were painted with the white coat overall including the undersides. The squiggles were either of the dark grey or dark grey of the greenish tinge.

Where_eagles_dare22a.jpg

Where_eagles_dare25a.jpg

Although the movie was filmed in Austria, as I suspected, the Harvards were sold to the film company by the Swiss Air Force ( the Ju-52/3M was also Swiss, and was the one that crashed in the Alps a year or two back ).
The Swiss Harvards were ex - RAF aircraft and, when in service with the Swiss, were finished in painted "Aluminium", with a black anti-glare panel, probably as delivered from the RAF at the time, as seen in the pic below (Credit : Kyburz, via Stapfer, from the Squadron Signal "In Action" book ).
I'm now assuming that, for the movie, they were painted in a similar colour scheme to the Ju-52/3M, which would make sense, being the "easy option" for the production team, having all aircraft in the same colour scheme.
I'd have to watch the movie again to determine the underside colour, but I have the feeling it was probably the overall colour, white, with the upper surfaces having the green stripes / mottle.
That said, a light blue underside,, like RLM 65, wouldn't look out of place on the model, if you so desire.

View attachment 621367
Wow, great research on your part. In the movie, we see the underside of the JU-52 as it takes off at the end of the chase scene, and it's done in white without the dark squiggles. I don't we get any good view of the undersides of the Harvards. So I just might do that in RLM 65 for grins and a little extra character.
Was going to do the upper-side dark squiggles in Tamiya XF-27, RLM 70, like I did on my Ju-52 from the movie. But Wurger's color corrected photos above look paler, more like Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey. Any thoughts?
All of this great help is very much appreciated, and is typical of the welcoming helpful nature of this site and participants.

THX ...... and here two shots posted above but corrected with the Gama correction and reduced saturation of the blue. With no doubt the planes were painted with the white coat overall including the undersides. The squiggles were either of the dark grey or dark grey of the greenish tinge.

View attachment 621375
View attachment 621376
Yep, I wonder if the cowlings are more like RLM 70, Black Green, and the squiggles are closer to RLM 02 Grey?
Thanks very much for your help.

Although the pics posted above show white undersides on the Harvards, RLM 65 wouldn't look out of place if that's what you'd prefer.
The "squiggles" do appear to be a dark greenish grey, but RLM 71 would also be a good alternative. I agree, the cowlings could very well be close to RLM 70, and note that the white is very obviously a washable paint, and quite thin and streaky in places.

I think it is the black on the engine cowling but no the RLM70. Here is another shot of the BO+ED kite but taken with a different angle of the plane.

Where_eagles_dare29b.jpg

the pic source: Szlakiem Orlich Gniazd #3: Tylko Dla Orłów (1968) | OPIUM

Regarding the RLM02 I'm not sure if it was stil in usage in 60'. Just they used what they had at hand. But we can't exclude that the colour was quite similar in the shade.

Having had a closer look, I agree on both counts, although the "RLM 02" shade is a touch dark - it was probably, as you state, whatever was available that looked "right".
Note also that the aircraft have been fitted with three-blade props, presumably just for the movie, and these might well have been dummies.

Nicely noticed my friend. :thumbright:

Here two screenshots I grabbed from Youtube. The black engine cowl can be noticed although these images are quite dim.

Where_eagles_dare30b.jpg

Where_eagles_dare31.jpg

Also I would like to make a focus on the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit that can be noticed under the white. What is more the wheel alloy seems to be unpainted,"aluminium" , at least on these inner sides IMHO..

Where_eagles_dare30c.jpg

And at least one of them had the rim ...

wheel alloy.jpg

the pic source:

Good information. Looks like I'll do the white underside, a black cowling, and something a bit darker than RLM 02 Grey, probably the RLM 71, for the squiggles.

Oh, I sure hope the Harvards hit by the bus in the movie were mockups and not real aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back