F80 C Monogram 1:48 OoB just to test acrylic metal colors of Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fam43

Senior Airman
Feb 2, 2009
Southern Germany
Hi,
My wife simply ordered all Alclad colors had to go because of their special ordor. Well I depulluted them in accordence with the law. Now I wanted to test acrylic metal colors from Revell and looked for a simple to build kit.
There was a F-80 from Monogram which rested in my basement for decades. No waste if it did go wrong.

13 F-80 C-01.JPG

Engraving or not engraving that was the question. Well I decideed to engrave the old chap. The cockpit is already finished in advance. Some minor thickening had to be done on the left ammo cover because I wanted it closed.

13 F-80 C-02.JPG

Ah, the nostalgia! Looking forward to this.

Hi,
My wife simply ordered all Alclad colors had to go because of their special ordor. Well I depulluted them in accordence with the law. Now I wanted to test acrylic metal colors from Revell and looked for a simple to build kit.
There was a F-80 from Monogram which rested in my basement for decades. No waste if it did go wrong.

View attachment 272318

Engraving or not engraving that was the question. Well I decideed to engrave the old chap. The cockpit is already finished in advance. Some minor thickening had to be done on the left ammo cover because I wanted it closed.

View attachment 272319

I might of had to ask momma to find a different room :) I have gotten to were I really like the Alclad system.

Hey that's not a bad little kit. I did one recently and it turned out not bad at all. I have five more in the closet. Nice one. I am interested in how the acrylics work I think I will get a set of Vallejo metals to try. Lets see how the Revels work out. I have not seen any acrylic metals I like as yet. I have used the Model Master Metalizers for years but I had to turn away or move out to the garage due to the order as my wife can't deal with it.

There were some problems with the fitting of parts.
first the gun panel was too thin when I closed it. I bolstered it up with sheet.

13 F-80 C-06 d.jpg

Other problems show up.

13 F-80 C-07 d.jpg

At last rthere was a step between front- and after fuselage. Maybe I goofed and caused it myself. Don't know.

13 F-80 C-08 d.jpg

It's difficult to see the effects of the paint, and especially any variation in tones, due to the lighting and highlights from reflection. This is due to the colour temperature of the lighting used, causing a yellow colour cast. Adjust the white balance of the camera for the lighting being used, and offset the lamp(s) to prevent direct reflection, and this should give a reasonable result - metallic finishes are never easy to photograph.
Use of flash is normally too harsh for model photography and, in the case of metallic finishes, will give a false impression due to the 'blue' colour balance of the flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back