F8F-2 Bearcat Test Flight (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
For those of you that haven't seen it, here is the first test flight of the Planes of Fame F8F-2 / G-58A Bearcat with Steve Hinton's comments.

After the test program, it was painted in dark Navy Blue colors.

_nc_ohc=y6uYzeFBihIAX-LQpmV&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you that haven't seen it, here is the first test flight of the Planes of Fame F8F-2 / G-58A Bearcat with Steve Hinton's comments.

After the test program, it was painted in dark Navy Blue colors.

View attachment 680961

What an awesome pilot, pick a turn, sink rate, whatever- never never moves from chosen attitude. I was surprised at the very shallow approach on final - kept looking for place short in case engine failure. I suppose that the wing loading was ultralight for the first flights.

This F8F is actually built up partly from the old Al Williams G-58 that never got armament or armor, so it's VERY light. It is quite likely the lightest Bearcat flying.

I don't know the exact weight, but it is LIGHT.

Likewise, the Planes of Fame P-51A is VERY light. It comes in around 5,000 pounds, so it is quite spritely in performance. Last time they herded it around the Reno Unlimited Race Course, it averaged 364 mph, which is stock P-51D territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back