FAA BPF Avenger from a few years ago

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ruud

Airman 1st Class
Apr 1, 2010
Hoi Y'all,

Well here is Avenger II P1B from the 849 Squadron January 1945.

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5734.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

The build went fine. But i fought the rest of it all the way. Some panel lines are practically gone due to having to repaint most of the wings. I forgot to clean the wings, so upon removing the mask big flakes of paint came right off. Also my masking (both mine and Eduard's) was not the best. Still the fading of the paint and marking and the dirtying up of the plane and panel lines looks really nice to me. The camera does not quite pick up the extent of weathering that the kit has.

Anyways this is the plane that my late uncle, W.J.S. McRae was flying in when they were shot down during Operation Meridian II. He was the TAG. All three crewmen were captured (along with at least one other crew of the 849). They were all executed days after the armistice. The family does not like to talk about his loss, but i am hoping that this build will help with that. An aunt and uncle are coming over from Scotland soon and i hope they will like the build.

"PALEMBANG RAIDS, Sumatra, Operation Meridian.

All shot down in January, taken prisoner and later executed around July 1945. The exact dates are disputed

First Raid – 24 January 1945

FAA, 1830 Sqn, Illustrious, flying Corsair fighter-bomber

BAXTER, Evan, Ty/Sub Lieutenant (A), RNZNR, killed

FAA, 1833 Sqn, Illustrious, flying Corsair fighter-bomber

SHAW, Reginald J A, Ty/Sub Lieutenant (A), RNVR, killed

FAA, 1839 Sqn, Illustrious, flying Hellcat fighter

HABERFIELD, John K, Ty/Sub Lieutenant (A), RNZNR, killed

Second Raid – 29 January 1945

FAA, 849 Sqn, Victorious, flying two Avenger fighter-bombers

One crew

BARKER, Ivor, Ty/Act/Petty Officer Airman, FAA/FX 86731, killed

BURNS, John R, Ty/Sub Lieutenant (A), RNVR, killed

ROEBUCK, Donald V, Ty/Sub Lieutenant (A), RNVR, killed

Second crew

BURRENSTON, Kenneth M, Ty/Lieutenant (A), RNVR, killed

LINTERN, William E J, Ty/Lieutenant (A), RNVR, killed

MCRAE, William J S, Ty/Act/Petty Officer Airman, FAA/FX 96155, killed"
Royal Navy casualties, killed and died, July 1945

later
Ruud

Tragic story about your uncle. We always should remind, that war is a tragedy for the people directly involved. I like building wartime planes as a model, since they look nice and military planes always are on top of the technology. Anyhow I feel sad about war itself.

You did a very nice build, especially the painting looks great.

Regards
Juergen

Thanks for the compliments guys.

It takes me forever to finish anything, so when this one was finally completed it was extra special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back