FAA Corsairs

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by dahut, Nov 26, 2007.

1. dahut

dahut New Member

Am looking for colors and markings for these birds. I found an excellent source for the clipped wings these birds sported after the initial batch, but I would like to find the color reference(s) for these.

2. Wuerger190

Wuerger190 New Member

Do a search the Hyperscale forums for this. There's been quite a few posts about FAA Corsairs there recently. One had a comprehensive breakdown of colour/markings, if I remember correctly.

3. Tinplate58

Tinplate58 Member

It depends which period you are interested in.Early deliveries were standard FAA scheme....
    Extra Dark Sea Grey FS36118 (ANA 603 Sea Gray US equivalent)
    Dark Slate Grey (the green shade ) FS34096 (depending on weathering could be close to Olive Drab 41 / ANA613 )
    Sky FS34424 (ANA 610)
    Fuselage codes ( the RN called them "symbols" ) usually in sky.
    Later Corsairs ( F3As and FGs ) were in current USN colour of Glossy Sea Blue FS15042 ( ANA 623) with markings white.
    National insignia as RAF in Europe but Insignia Blue and White in Eastern Fleet / East Indies Fleet; same colours in Pacific Fleet but with bars as US insignia.
    The code system was rather complicated and changed at various times (usually letter-number-letter).
    Nick