Fairey propeller

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pozieres

Recruit
Dec 13, 2012
Hi all,

This is my first post, so let me begin by saying hello!

I've recently acquired a WW2-era propeller as part of my collection and, not being an aircraft guy, would like some help identifying the plane it came from.

It was sold to me as an Avro Anso prop, but I can see straight away that is unlikely. The prop blades are alloy, but the boss is timber.

The prop also has 'Fairey' painted on the wingtips.

I can decipher some text on one of the blades which says:

Cirrus Mk II
Fairey Propeller
Patent No: ?
Serial No: FR 511
Jan 1928

I'm assuming it came from a Fairey plane with a Cirrus engine, but any clues as to the specific aircraft type? Photo below (complete with Christmas decorations!).

All advice much appreciated.

Poz

propeller.JPG

Hi Poz,

Firstly, the date 1928 definitely tells you it isn't from an Anson; the first one flew in 1936, although Ansons were fitted with Fairey Reed metal propellers of this type. The engine type "Cirrus II" is a good start, but Fairey Reed was the manufacturer of the propeller, not necessarily the aeroplane it was fitted to. The Cirrus II was an 85 hp four cylinder upright engine and was fitted to the following types, Avro Avian, de Havilland DH.60 Cirrus Moth, DH.71 Tiger Moth racer, Short Mussel float plane and Westland Widgeon. Of this lot, it's most likely to be the DH.60 Moth - if I was to guess, due to the number of these built and exported - it also ties in with the date. It's also possible that it is from either an Avian or a Widgeon, examples of both of which went to Australia. Bert Hinkler's Avro Avian that survives in the museum in downtown Brisbane is fitted with a Fairey Reed metal propeller. I hope this is helpful to you - and season's greetings to you and your propeller!

Welcome to the forum, and a good catch on the prop. I think Grant has covered it all in his reply, and i agree with his assessment.

Yeah, welcome from another in Oz.
But I'm not too sure, but I thought fairies had Wings, not propellers......
Haven't you ever seen pictures of Tinkerbell??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back