Favorite Ace

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thumpalumpacus

Captain
Feb 5, 2021
Tejas
I was curious about the favorite aces of folks and thought it'd be cool to spark some good discussion about it. I couldn't really find what seemed an appropriate forum for that topic, so I put it here. Obviously the last century spawned thousands of aces, so putting up a formal poll seems to me a little ludicrous.

But I'm just curious on views about this. I have my own few, my avatar being one, for different reasons, and I'll put up more on that as we go along. Whose story, or flying, grabs you?

Staff, if there's a better sub-forum for this thread, my apologies, and move as you see fit.

Colonel Francis Gabreski. Mostly for non-aviation reasons. He had been president of the Long Island Rail Road, my beloved former employer. I worked with his daughter, a former U.S. Navy petty officer and an excellent block operator (my "craft"). She gave me a great poster autographed by the Colonel. Plus I took a couple of glider flights from Gabreski Airport.

I chose it because of its Texas attitude and colors. It's more interesting to me than my old SAC unit's patch with its Latin proverbin' and all.

Also -- I share you admiration for Gabby. Flying aggressively, taking the time to teach the younger pilots, all that. I've got a copy of Jane's WWII Fighters that features interviews with several aces interviewed, and I always liked Gabby's demeanor. Seems like a guy who'd rather sit down and have a beer with you, but could be cutthroat when needed.

If I had to choose just one it would be Captain David McCampbell of the US Navy.

Some interesting facts concerning his military career:

1) Leading US Navy ace with 34 victories.

2) Highest scoring American pilot to survive the war.

3) Most successful American pilot during a single mission (9 Japanese fighters on October 24, 1944). Also scored 7 victories on June 19, 1944 during the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot". This made him the only US pilot to make "ace in a day" twice. For these two actions he would be awarded the Medal Of Honor (MOH) by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

4) Carrier Air Group 15 Commander during both the Battle of the Philippines Sea and Leyte Gulf. Air Group 15 destroyed more enemy planes (315 airborne and 348 on the ground) and sank more enemy shipping than any other Air Group in the PTO.

5) Scored all of his 34 aerial victories while flying F6F-3/5 aircraft.

6) Served 31 years in the US Navy.

3) Most successful American pilot during a single mission (9 Japanese fighters on October 24, 1944). Also scored 7 victories on June 19, 1944 during the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot". This made him the only US pilot to make "ace in a day" twice. For these two actions he would be awarded the Medal Of Honor (MOH) by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

I doubt it's true, but I've read that on his mission on 24 Oct, he shot down those nine aircraft in the time it took to smoke a cigarette. Most likely apocryphal, but it's cute to think of.

the time it took to smoke a cigarett
Well....

The_b975d5_144292.jpg

Holy crap..... Just one? Impossible. I have many, Albert Ball, Werner Voss, Stanford Tuck, Hans-Joachim Marseilles, James Howard, Marion Carl, Alex Vraciu........

Being unfamiliar with the emboldened pilots mentioned, I went to look them up. Holy cow, here's one fearless sonofabitch::

On January 11, 1944, Howard flew his P-51 unaccompanied into some 30 Luftwaffe fighters that were attacking a formation of American B-17 Flying Fortress bombers over Oschersleben, Germany.[3][6] For more than a half-hour, Howard defended the heavy bombers of the 401st Bomb Group against the swarm of Luftwaffe fighters, repeatedly attacking the enemy and shooting down as many as six.[6] Even after Howard's P-51 ran out of ammunition, he continued to dive on enemy airplanes.[6] The leader of the bomber formation later reported, "For sheer determination and guts, it was the greatest exhibition I've ever seen. It was a case of one lone American against what seemed to be the entire Luftwaffe. He was all over the wing, across and around it. They can't give that boy a big enough award."[5][/i]

... and:

Flight Lieutenant Roland Robert Stanford TUCK, D.F.C. (37306).
Since 11 June 1940, this officer has destroyed six enemy aircraft, and probably destroyed or damaged six more. One day in August, 1940, he attacked three Junkers 88's, destroyed two and damaged the third. Later in the month he intercepted two Ju 88's at 15,000 feet, and in a head-on attack, destroyed one. In a similar attack on the second, a cannon shell blew away his oil and glycol tank and a piece of his propeller, but he reached the coast and landed by parachute. In September, 1940, he shot down one Messerschmitt 110 and probably a Messerschmitt 109, and one week later destroyed a Bf 109 over the sea. Flight Lieutenant Tuck has displayed gallant and determined leadership.[14]

Thanks so much, rob23 rob23 .

Being unfamiliar with the emboldened pilots mentioned, I went to look them up. Holy cow, here's one fearless sonofabitch::

On January 11, 1944, Howard flew his P-51 unaccompanied into some 30 Luftwaffe fighters that were attacking a formation of American B-17 Flying Fortress bombers over Oschersleben, Germany.[3][6] For more than a half-hour, Howard defended the heavy bombers of the 401st Bomb Group against the swarm of Luftwaffe fighters, repeatedly attacking the enemy and shooting down as many as six.[6] Even after Howard's P-51 ran out of ammunition, he continued to dive on enemy airplanes.[6] The leader of the bomber formation later reported, "For sheer determination and guts, it was the greatest exhibition I've ever seen. It was a case of one lone American against what seemed to be the entire Luftwaffe. He was all over the wing, across and around it. They can't give that boy a big enough award."[5][/i]

... and:

Flight Lieutenant Roland Robert Stanford TUCK, D.F.C. (37306).
Since 11 June 1940, this officer has destroyed six enemy aircraft, and probably destroyed or damaged six more. One day in August, 1940, he attacked three Junkers 88's, destroyed two and damaged the third. Later in the month he intercepted two Ju 88's at 15,000 feet, and in a head-on attack, destroyed one. In a similar attack on the second, a cannon shell blew away his oil and glycol tank and a piece of his propeller, but he reached the coast and landed by parachute. In September, 1940, he shot down one Messerschmitt 110 and probably a Messerschmitt 109, and one week later destroyed a Bf 109 over the sea. Flight Lieutenant Tuck has displayed gallant and determined leadership.[14]

Thanks so much, rob23 rob23 .
Hey, no problem, and thanks! Jim Howard is so interesting; he was a naval aviator then went to the AVG, the Flying Tigers and scored against the Japanese. After the AVG broke up he took a commission in the AAF and flew the Mustang and was the one and only European theater fighter pilot to receive the MOH. He retired as a USAF general. Hell of a pilot, interesting guy.

Hey, no problem, and thanks! Jim Howard is so interesting; he was a naval aviator then went to the AVG, the Flying Tigers and scored against the Japanese. After the AVG broke up he took a commission in the AAF and flew the Mustang and was the one and only European theater fighter pilot to receive the MOH. He retired as a USAF general. Hell of a pilot, interesting guy.

Another point I found interesting, which I didn't mention above in the interest of brevity, is that he's the only American fighter pilot to make ace in two theaters in WWII, at least according to the Wiki article I linked.

Again, this is why I love this forum -- I learn so much about a topic which obviously interests us all. Good stuff!

Thanks for the correction and additional info.
Two of my favorite aces are James Morris and Lawrence "Scrappy" Blumer. Although Blumer only had 6 total victories and flew with the 9th AF, 367th FG. 5 FW-190's fell to his guns in a low-level fight on Aug 25, 1944. James Morris, of the 20th FG, 8th AF, only scored 7.33 victories. 6.33 of his total came in the period of February 1944, including 4 on the 8th, 2 FW-190's and 2 Me-109's. Both men flew P-38J's, both scored their multiple victories at altitudes below 15,000 feet.

Morris's combat reports can be found here:

http://www.20thfightergroup.com/uploads/2/5/6/1/25611749/morris_encounter_reports.pdf

Blumer's report for 8/25/44 is attached.

PS Morris was lost (POW) in July 44 when is P-38 was knocked down by a tail gunner of a Me-410.

I picked these aces because IMHO, they showed what a well flown P-38 could do (with a little luck) in a theater where it was considered by some as a failure.

Eagledad

Attachments

• Blumer Aug 26 1944.jpeg
    Blumer Aug 26 1944.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back