Favorite mystery/detective author.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Salutations brethren......

Was thinking about the Sci-Fi/Fantasy writer thread earlier....since I'm not much of a fan of that genre....who is your favorite mystery/detective writer?
Has anyone of you read "The Big Sleep", "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler, "The Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammett....?
You might say that I'm looking for some 'hard-boiled' detective fiction"....8)

Any suggestions??:D

Thanks Bucky.....!

" [Hammett] took murder out of the Venetian vase and dropped it into the alley... [He] gave murder back to the kind of people who do it for a reason, not just to provide a corpse; and with means at hand, not with handwrought dueling pistols, curare, and tropical fish. "
— Raymond Chandler, in The Simple Art of Murder
" I have been asked many times over the years why he did not write another novel after The Thin Man. I do not know. I think, but I only think, I know a few of the reasons: he wanted to do a new kind of work; he was sick for many of those years and getting sicker. But he kept his work, and his plans for work, in angry privacy and even I would not have been answered if I had ever asked, and maybe because I never asked is why I was with him until the last day of his life. "
— Lillian Hellman, in an introduction to a compilation of Hammett's five novels

Don't know if it fits but I love Clive Cussler with his Dirk Pitt stories and also Mickey Spillane.

The Thin Man movies from the '30s are great! But I've never read the novels.

James Elroy has to be very high on the list, Check out The Blach Dliliah, The Big Nowhere and LA Confindentail for starters, Very hard boiled.
Art in DC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back