Fiat Cr 32 from Silver Wings kit (1:32)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi everybody,
I also started working on this biplane fighter, that Regia Aeronautica sent to support Nationalists in the Spanish civil war and also had a role in WW2, specially in East Africa.
See here for more details:
Fiat CR.32 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The box and its content:
DSCN1394.JPG

DSCN1395.JPG
DSCN1396.JPG
DSCN1397.JPG
DSCN1398.JPG
DSCN1399.JPG

As usual I started with the cockpit:
DSCN1492.JPG

As you surely noticed I painted almost everything in aluminium because the the typical "anticorrosion green" was a later introduction.
Canvas parts were instead covered with a yellowish dope.
View attachment 178442
DSCN1498.JPG
DSCN1499.JPG

Unfortunately not much of my work will be seen through the very small cockpit opening ...but I like to know that I've done it.
More to follow.
Comment and suggestion are always very welcome.
Alberto

Last edited:
A few more.
The first to show the cockpit structure that, originally, was assembled incorrectly:
- correct one
DSCN1508.JPG

- and the wrong one
DSCN1498 a.jpg

then to show instrument panel
DSCN1510.JPG

DSCN1511.JPG

and the right side of the office
DSCN1509.JPG

Alberto

Hi,
some more pictures as I wanted to show the model in the assembly stage, to give an idea of the bird and to outline that, besides it's a resin kit, parts are very well made with almost zero defects.

DSCN1516-vi.jpg

DSCN1517-vi.jpg

DSCN1518-vi.jpg

Propeller, ailerons, tail planes, rudder and landing gear are just dry fit.

Then my present headache: to find the correct positioning of all these struts:

DSCN1519-vi.jpg

finally I wanted to present, in just one shot, the difference between two WW2 Fiat fighter: the Cr 32 and the G 55
DSCN1523-vi.jpg

Cheers
Alberto

Last edited:
Good stuff Alberto. Stupid question but did those elevators actually deflect opposite like that or is it just you trying out the fit? Sorry but I'm on my third glass of Shiraz right now.

Right, it was just a test to see how ailerons etc. fit into their location and they do well!
Shiraz is good, I had it a few times when in UK, but I do prefer Italian wines, of course!
Alberto

Many thanks for all nice comments.

For sure it will be a challenging model, with a lot to trials to be done in order to find the correct positioning of all wing struts, as the upper wing will be glued at the end, after coloring, weathering etc.

Alberto

Finally I did some progress!:D:D

First of all I had to make a jig.
DSCN1561-vi.jpg

It has been made mostly with plywood, with balsa wood inserts in contact with the model and also balsa eccentric blocks used to hold the main wing and the fin.

DSCN1563-vi.jpg
DSCN1565-vi.jpg

So eventually I was able to identify and glue all wing and cabane struts.

DSCN1569-vi.jpg
DSCN1566-vi.jpg

So here is an other dry-fit test

DSCN1571bis-vi.jpg

marked in red is a 50 kg bomb I had in my spare box and I will position later. In facts this small, old fashion biplane, in last days of her career was also used as fighter-bomber with either one 50 Kg bomb or two 24 Kg.

Next step will be again an hard match for me: I will have to position and glue on the cowl the 42 cooling fins... wish me good luck, if you like!:shock:
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back