Fiat CR.42

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

olbrat

Airman
Mar 19, 2008
Inspired by the thread regarding the Reggia Aeronautica, I have been doing some reading on the Fiat CR.42and it's successes, especially early in war. Due to it's manuverability it was able to score against Glosters, Hurricanes, Spitfires, Me109s etc. It was a successfull night fighter and fighter bomber as well.

I assume it fought against P-40's as well. Does anyone know how it faired, in general?

I also read where there was a prototype that was fitting with a DB601A engine that increased it's speed to 326 mph. I know that usually any speed is an improvement, but would this additional speed coupled with it's manuverability made much of a difference in combat with the Hurricanes, Spitfires etc.?

Inspired by the thread regarding the Reggia Aeronautica, I have been doing some reading on the Fiat CR.42and it's successes, especially early in war. Due to it's manuverability it was able to score against Glosters, Hurricanes, Spitfires, Me109s etc. It was a successfull night fighter and fighter bomber as well.

I assume it fought against P-40's as well. Does anyone know how it faired, in general?

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/fighter-least-successful-21729-6.html

Pages 6-8. I posted some data on CR-42 preformance in terms of successes vs. getting shot down by enemy planes.

Cr-42 is considered by some sources to be the ultimate "bi-plane" design. It certainly compared favorably to the Glouster Gladiator, the Falco getting the nod for maneuverability and the Gladiator the nod for firepower. In the early days the Falco managed to hold it's own against moderns like the Hurricane but as time went by it's obsolecence become more accute. In NA, by 42 it was relegated to rear area defense and FB missions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back