Fiat Falco CR42 in Burma or Singapore?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GHWW2

Airman
Apr 6, 2022
Hello everybody!

I recently came across a trove of WW2 photos taken by my Great Uncle who served with the Gordon Highlanders in Burma during WW2. There are several photos of a Fiat Falco CR42 which he must have taken somewhere in Burma or possibly Singapore during a stopover there. Rather unusually has a two blade prop and no wheel spats, but all other features are CR42. But the real mystery to me is how a CR42 ended up in the Far East. As far as I have been able to find on the internet, none were ever deployed by Italians or allies to the region and none were ever sold to any air forces in the area. Does anybody have any idea how it might have ended up there?

Yep.. these would be helpful. Actually the lack of spats for the Falco was nothing unusual. It happened quite often. Contrary to that the two-blade prop sounds strange though.
Are you sure the plane was the CR.42 but not the CR.32 for instance?

italian-fiat-cr-42as-falco.jpg

italian-fiat-cr-42as-falco-circa-1942.jpg

cr42as_bombs_italian.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Thanks for the information - I do not have the photos with me right now but have asked them to be scanned and sent to me and will post as soon as I have them.

It does seem that it could be a CR32 given the two blade prop and possible Nationalist China collection. But I examined the photos carefully and discounted that it was a CR32 because it appeared to have a radial engine. Also, according to Wikipedia all the Chinese CR32s were destroyed by 1937, and my relative was in the Burma campaign much later than that.

There was also an Auster V in the same batch of photos.

Anyway, standby for the photos - will post as soon as I have them.

I see. If the radial engine ... it would be the CR.42 rather. Let's wait for these images then.

BTW ... welcome to the site.

hi and welcome
Thanks for the information - I do not have the photos with me right now but have asked them to be scanned and sent to me and will post as soon as I have them.

It does seem that it could be a CR32 given the two blade prop and possible Nationalist China collection. But I examined the photos carefully and discounted that it was a CR32 because it appeared to have a radial engine. Also, according to Wikipedia all the Chinese CR32s were destroyed by 1937, and my relative was in the Burma campaign much later than that.

There are people here that will identify a piece of junk to an airframe. Just let someone make a photo of the picture and you will know.

Hi

Auster Vs only arrived in Burma from February 1945 with 656 Sqn. Other units had them in India after the end of the war. That may give you some dating evidence.

Mike

Rather no. The CR.40 stayed the protoype only IIRC. Regarding the CR.32 with the radial .. I didn't hear about a such attempt to change the engine.

OK I finally got the photos. On closer examination, it is not a CR42 - but I have no idea what it is. It is a radial engined sesquiplane, and wing struts resemble CR42 hence my original wrong guess. But looking closer, the aircraft is smaller, the undercrarriage leg are on the fuselage and not on the lower wing as CR42, and it only has a small fixed pitch two blade prop.

The other aircraft is an Auster, probably of 656 Squadron who were in Burma at the time

Bob Luff photos.jpg

Here's some more photos with a more side on view of the mystery aircraft showing a "humpback" fuselage which is also made me think CR42 at first glance.

Also, anybody like to guess where the photos were taken? I don't think Singapore, given hills in background. Burma more likely.

Bob Luff 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back