Fighter with the best roll rate...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
If this has been asked before, my apologies.

Which aircraft had the fastest roll rate during WWII?

Thanks!

These should provide your answer

Attachments

• wade-roll.jpg
    wade-roll.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,601
  • naca-report-868 45.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 405
  • Rolldata.jpg
    Rolldata.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 959
The Meteor III and Spitfire 21 were not operational during WWII to any significant extent. But if they are included then the Me-262, Ta-152, Do-335, He-162 and P-51H should also be on the chart.

i figured the Fw 190 would be at the top of the list, but i wanted to see how the other axis planes stacked up.

any 109 roll info, or Macchi /G series info ?

what about the Russian birds?

I recently posted in another thread how the Spit mk1 and 109E were horrible in high speed roll performance.
I know later variants saw improvements.

Bill

This is hard to answer becuse of many factors, including speed and which model of which fighter but F4U should be considered as well as P40.

Figured it would be the 190.

Does going with the prop increase the roll rate?

Yes. having said that the relative roll 'opposite' should be similar but slower.

It is in this discussion that a P-38 jumps a bit with counter rotating props - it will improve relative roll against the others.

In all my years of data hunting about the rolling plane; I've come to the conclusion that each countries roll data will be not conclusive for any airframe as some roll better slow and others roll better at high speeds. My best guess would be the FW 190 and the La-5/7 best at most speeds, but not all.

At very low speeds, the Ki 43 and A6M do very well.
The clipped wing Spitfires are pretty competitive with the FW 190 at certain speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back