**** FINISHED: GB-40 1/72 Ju87 D/G - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Username: Parsifal
First name: Michael
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Revell
Aftermarket addons: (leftover} Yahu harness (maybe)

My nomination for this GB is the Revell Ju87 D/G, which I intend to complete in the D configuration (postscript note: It was finished in the g configuration in the finish), painted to depict aircraft from either 10 (pz) St.G-3 Jakobstadt Lettland; July 1944 or Ju87D-3 of 4/St.G2 July 1944 (in the finish I painted the aircraft more in keeping with the 1943 appearance of St G-2).
The revell kit is far from a new kit. Its biggest drawbacks are that it uses raised panel lines and the interior is best described as "spartan". During the build I did my best to improve the presentation of the interior, though it was still fairly basic.

The fujimi kit is considered far better in both these respects. The revell offering is an old kit , the original I believe dates back to 1975, perhaps older. In its favour it is well made, with no real fit issues, and updated decals. Since writing that I have found that a critical part of the build is the placement of the cockpit bath…..too low and it interferes with the wing fit (which is a problem I encountered….to high and the pilots seat and back rest sit too high out of the cockpit bath. I was unfortunate enough to strike that problem as well. The cockpit bath shoul have aligning lugs so that it can be placed as precisely and accurately as possible, but does not. This has the very annoying effect of making a critical step in the construction essentially a guess, something I was not impressed about

Despite this, the kit is actually quite a nice build and im happy with the way things turned out

My intention for this kit was to make a few detail changes where I can……I have some leftover harnesses from Yahu. I will try and improve the interior detailing a bit. I haven't decided yet whether to tackle the raised panel lines As things turned out, this statemet turned out to rather ironic, as I had to find a way to address the poor decal solution to the wing roots offered in the kit. That was a major learning curve for me, and something I really appreciate the help from Wurger in particular.

Scott Aiken, in his build review of this kit describes it thus…."Though the kit was old, it built well. That is one of the major benefits of not having a ton of parts. In fact, I recall it building rather quickly. I did know that RLM 02 was a cockpit interior color and so that is what the interior was painted. You really cannot see much of it through the rather thick plastic, but again, this isn't a kit that the 'obsessed' will be building anyway!"

In my case I had major drama with the clear parts. The problems were mostly of my own doing, and it took nearly a week of painstaking polishing and repainting to get the thing even to the half decent finish that it is . Generally though I am happy at where ive ended up with this build. Hope you like it guys

Ju87 Aft.jpg
Ju87 Extra 1.jpg
Ju87 Extra 2.jpg
Ju87 Fwd.jpg
Ju87 Port Beam.jpg
Ju87 Port FQ.jpg
Ju87 Stbd Beam.jpg
Ju87 Stbd FQ.jpg
Ju87 Stbd RQ.jpg
Ju87 Port RQ.jpg

Bien logrado Michael :salute:
Very important and interesting information was gathered in your thread. You freed the inconveniences well.

Saludos :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back