Firewall found need ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
431
155
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Location
Travis AFB California
Website
www.hiavps.com
I recently found aircraft part that looks like a firewall at an abandoned Echeverria Airfield in Arizona. I believe it could be from a PT-17 Stearman. other possible aircraft include, BT-13, BT-15. I did not locate any part numbers on it, but it did have 2 inspection stamps, "HT" and "23". Also an access panel was found. Can you tell me what aircraft it goes to?

Thanks in advance
DaveT
 

Attachments

  • Echeverria Field 064.jpg
    Echeverria Field 064.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 187
  • Echeverria Field 065.jpg
    Echeverria Field 065.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Echeverria Field 066.jpg
    Echeverria Field 066.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Echeverria Field 067.jpg
    Echeverria Field 067.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Echeverria Field 069.jpg
    Echeverria Field 069.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Echeverria Field 094.jpg
    Echeverria Field 094.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Echeverria Field 095.jpg
    Echeverria Field 095.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 377
Hi Dave - can you take a close up photo of the stamps. "HT" would usually be for "Heat treated." If I could see the "23" stamp I might be able to identify it to the manufacturer.
 
closeup of the stamps as requested. I believe the part is most likely from a PT-17 but I want to be sure.
Thanks
DaveT
 

Attachments

  • Echeverria Field 068.jpg
    Echeverria Field 068.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Echeverria Field 070.jpg
    Echeverria Field 070.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 175
Hi Dave.

This could be a tough one - here's a link to a great website;

Aviation Archaeology - Aircraft Inspection Stamps

The stamp doesn't seem to have any other identifer but looking at the part I would tend to agree that a PT-17 might be a good guess. There were also gliders on that field.

One observation - for the most part firewalls are usually monel or stainless steel - that looks like its all aluminum. Can you conform that?
 
yes it is all aluminum. The diameter is a little small for a firewall. maybe it is a divider from the passenger compartment to the tail.
DaveT
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back