Fit for a King

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see people complaining about the cost of King Richard's funeral. But he was a king, a head of state and an important part of England's past.

It would be no different here in the U.S. if it were President Washington or President Lincoln.

Attachments

• coffin.jpg
    coffin.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
When they quote costs they always use the salaries of people there who would be paid anyway or the theoretical costs of hiring things like cathedrals which arent hired anyway. I cant imagine anyone being happy if he had a standard Co-op funeral and a plot in the municipal cemetery.

The coffin is lead lined and made by his closest living relative. Personally I wish the archeologists had refrained from publishing photos, it maube 500 years but showing his skeleton laid out is disrespectful to the dead, king or not.

Last edited:
Hi all
This last weekend I was in Leicester where I was lucky enough to be chosen through an open ballot to attend the Service of Compline which was broadcast from The Cathedral yesterday.

As a staunch Ricardian, Royalist and English Patriot I was proud to be in attendance at a service which was carried out with dignity and reverence.

After the service a reporter from the LA Times spoke to me and a quote was included in her filed report. Link follows.

A day of pageantry and gallantry for King Richard III - LA Times

Richard Green

Well that brings up the point of how long do you wait to dig up human remains? I mean at what time does it stop being grave robbery and become archeology? 500 years? 501 years? I mean do you think the Pharaohs would approve of being in glass cases for the world to see? When Richard the 3rd was originally laid to rest he was beneath the knave of a church, an honored place. Unfortunately it became a car park. Who's to say in another 500 years we don't lose it again?

Well that brings up the point of how long do you wait to dig up human remains? I mean at what time does it stop being grave robbery and become archeology? 500 years? 501 years? I mean do you think the Pharaohs would approve of being in glass cases for the world to see? When Richard the 3rd was originally laid to rest he was beneath the knave of a church, an honored place. Unfortunately it became a car park. Who's to say in another 500 years we don't lose it again?

Archeology is important bu I believe it should be conducted as what in Richard the thirds case it was, a post mortem to discover the identity and cause of death, posting pictures of his skeleton goes against his and my culture, calling it "historical and archeological interest" isnt really an excuse. I have the same feeling about the Pharaohs but people like to see lots of gold.

Awesome event and I am surprised to see the simple coffin as it is same as ours.

I imagine that if King Richard's body was fleshed out, it would have been treated with a higher degree of modesty. As it is, a skeleton carries a slightly different set of rules, in regards to modesty and display.

As far as people seeing it, remember that Lenin, Stalin and Mao lay in state, viewable from a glass sarcophagus. Well, Stalin did for the longest time, but they buried him eventually.

I imagine that if King Richard's body was fleshed out, it would have been treated with a higher degree of modesty. As it is, a skeleton carries a slightly different set of rules, in regards to modesty and display.

As far as people seeing it, remember that Lenin, Stalin and Mao lay in state, viewable from a glass sarcophagus. Well, Stalin did for the longest time, but they buried him eventually.

I saw Lenin a 8 years ago, I believe the mausoleum is still open for short periods. I was on a tour of Moscow being shown around by a company employee, we joined a tour of red square because because you could not just wander around it and the mausoleum was included. Even my very "pro Russian" guide thought the guy should be in the ground, it was all a bit strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back