Five years already !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, no dear boy. I drink the beer - it's Jan's job to buy it !!
One couldn't possibly mingle with the common people with money in one's pocket !

No, no dear boy. I drink the beer - it's Jan's job to buy it !!
One couldn't possibly mingle with the common people with money in one's pocket !

Waiting for a Scot ( albeit an import) and a northerner to buy the beer a southern boy could die of thirst :)
Move south old bean where the people are friendly, generous and good looking.

Au contraire. I can offer you

Fullers
Shepherds Neame
Harveys
King Barnes
Youngs
Brakspear
St Austell brewery
Sharps

Something for everyone in that list.

And the weather is better in the south too :)

'I'm not the one who's.....well, show face up here and I'll buy a few rounds! '

Funnily enough we have been inspired by a friends holiday on the west coast of Scotland, they rented a cottage by a beach and its looks magnificent.
As we can take our 2 Labradors we are planning to go there too.
See you en route.

Good stuff John. Just in case you've never been there before, below is a check-list of just a few of the essentials you'll need for your visit.

1. Passport
2. Phrase book.
3. Scottish currency.
4. Elocution lessons, designed to rid one of the English accent - particularly a southern English accent.
5. See 2 and 4 above.
6. Clothing for every season, and every occasion (full sets required for each day). Do not be tempted to wear the local tartan - this will only cause amusement with the locals, and possibly (probably) a fight, as someone is bound to start an argument centered on which Clan is best etc. (it's a well-used excuse for a brawl now and then, and fairly harmless really).
7. A total belief in the accuracy of BBC weather forecasts.
8. A capacity for a large intake of alcohol, followed by an equally large intake of the local 'Scottish White Wine', aka whisky.
9. A further supply of Scottish currency, due to 8 above.
10. A phrase book of local post-pub dialect, due to 8 above.
11. A knowledge of the local by-laws governing stalking and hunting of Haggis.
12. A current Permit, stamped by the Chief Constable and Sheriff of the area, for use when stalking and hunting (see 11 above).
13. A confirmed ability, with written proof, not to mention Edinburgh, or refer to same as part of Scotland.
14. The ability to refer to whisky by name, or brand name, not 'Scotch', and call the population Scots, not Scotch.
15. A signed and dated affidavit declaring you won't tell more southern jessies how wonderful the place is, and that you'll never disclose how good the Scottish White Wine is in the local area.

If you remember all of these, you should fare reasonably well, and get back across the border in reasonable condition. (with the exception of the contents of your wallet, which will have been consumed by the purchase of further rounds in the pub.).
And for ****'s sake, don't buy any 'Edinburgh Rock' - it'll only encourage them to make more of the stuff !!

Thank you for such a comprehensive list Terry.
Travelling north is fraught with difficulties for us southern folk.
We veered into Wales once and ended up in some unpronounable town with sullen inhabitants.
Birmingham isn't too bad and the trouble really starts by Liverpool / Manchester. Can't anyone speak properly here? I have to speak very slowly and clearly to be understood....and all this is just trying to pay for petrol. :)
We're looking forward to seeing the Lake District and then the Scottish Highlands.
Apart from anything else travelling north makes me even more pleased to live in gods chosen city... Plymouth :)

Joking apart, the west coast and lake District scenery looks breathtaking.

Birmingham isn't too bad??!!!
Good grief, compared to Birmingham, the Manchester and Liverpool dialects are 'BBC English' !
The 'Lakes' are just an hour up the road from where I've now settled - used to spend a lot of time there, walking, off-roading and parachuting, and I've a number of friends up there. Lovely area.

Birmingham isn't too bad??!!!....

It's ok-ish, some of the locals are strange speaking in a variation of accents and pronounciations.. the choice of shopping is more limited than you'd think, then again, its not 90's/early 00's anymore.

British Ale and Beer is only warm if you take too long to drink :shock: don't put it in the fridge :cry: or the pub doesn't/can't chill it enough :evil: either that or its a freshly delivered warm barrel :oops:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back