Floatplane fighters: wishful thinking or tactical resource?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the Curtiss SC was outstanding, though as you said, it came a little too late. I don't think it was too lightly armed either, two .50s is pretty good for that type of aircraft.

Probably the last good aircraft Curtiss made. They should have started it (or something like it) in 1940 instead of 42.

aa44f92282bcc4835f929ec7822ef397.jpg

Ro 44 on that first one? Great model and a neat plane for sure. The only reason I didn't include it on my list is because they were apparently relegated to training units.

That N1K is clearly a BEAST. I always wanted to make a model of the seaplane version but all I can ever find are the later land based fighter version they made out of it.
Yep, that's a Ro.44. With only 700hp (at around 1500m) it was hopelessly outdated. They should have used instead the readily available P.XI RC40 engine which, at least, was able to produce 1000hp at 4000m.

As for the N1K, there is an old Tamiya 1:48 model which can still be bought on e-bay. I got one recently and the seller even included some Edward die cast parts. I postponed its assembly till I'll be able to 3d print the contra-rotating propellers of the prototype. I'm using an old 1:72 kit of the prototype as reference and some drawings. I need to finish the hub model in CAD and then I'll print the replacement part.

The Kawanishi designers were able to install the same engine of the J2M in a tight, oval, fuselage. The engine dimensions were 'large' for Japanese standards, but its diameter of 134cm (52.5") is comparable to other 14 cyl engines with pistons of similar bore and stroke. A single N1K was given a conventional set of wheels and its performance convinced both Kawanishi and the Imperial Navy to go ahead with the development of the N1K1. Too bad they traded the reliable Kasei with the Homare (I guess it's the Navy to blame, since they wanted to use this damned engine everywhere). It should be noted that, at that point, the Kasei was delivering 1825hp with methanol injection (same as the Homare, since it also had to resort to methanol injection, with 100 octane fuel not being available in the field).

Kyofu plan view.jpg

Last edited:
The fighting floatplane had its best day in fiction: Studio Ghibli's beautiful and elegant "Porco Rosso."
Great movie! Part of my soft spot for the seaplanes and flying boats can be traced to it.

In the early part of WW II the float fighter could protect bases (mostly naval) from common recon planes and perhaps nuisance raiders without a lot of infrastructure.
They could, in theory, provide air cover while runways were built or for temporary operations.
Early in the Spanish Civil War the italians brought some Macchi M.41 flying boats to the Balearic Islands for air defense. Not very successful when the republicans started to use the Tupolev SB fast bomber.

In the thread 'If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!' I share a pic:

Post in thread 'If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!' If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back