Flying again: Spitfire takes to the air 71 years after being shot down. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wasn't Peter Cazenove a wingman to Robert Stanford Tuck?

To me, this is even better news than normal given the recent loss of Galloping Ghost. Yeah, I know.....different plane. But its good to get another one back in the air.

I do have a question though, it shows the Spitfire landing in the grass. Why did it land there when there is a runway right next to it?

Last edited:
I do have a question though, it shows the Spitfire landing in the grass. Why did it land there when there is a runway right next to it?
If it has the original 1939/40 u/c set-up, the axles are set to "toe-in," which was normal for grass, being more stable. It was only (very)late/post-war that the legs were set fore-and-aft, for hard runways, which would have scrubbed the tyres if they were toed-in.
There's an article in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph, with a slightly sad postscript; the owner found where Casenove had been living, but, when he phoned, his widow answered, saying that he'd died just a few days earlier. She also said that one of the last things he said was that he'd have loved to know what happened to his old Spitfire.
Edgar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back