Flying boats....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Knowing that they glory days are long gone, at least for the massive 'Clipper' size ones, will we ever see the likes again, would they find a place today and in the future?
Much can be said about the airships...

Had a bl**dy hard time trying to figure out, where to put this thread, as we don't have a 'Future' sub forum.... :lol:

"....would they find a place today and in the future?..."

Don't announce their death quite yet, my friend ..... :) .. from both a classic 'stylistics' POV and a technological (turbos) upgrade POV, flyingboats are iconic - and always will be:

The Flying Boat is Back | Flying Magazine

Attachments

• stock-photo-flying-boat-airplane-at-airport-2215218.jpg
    stock-photo-flying-boat-airplane-at-airport-2215218.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 220px-Grumman.McK_G-21G_N70AL_OSH_29.07.10R_edited-2.jpg
    220px-Grumman.McK_G-21G_N70AL_OSH_29.07.10R_edited-2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 110
  • FLY0110_dornier6_1000x674.jpg
    FLY0110_dornier6_1000x674.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Personally I would love to see more floatplanes/ Flying Boats/ amphibious aircraft around, but I believe their time has been and gone sadly. :(

(Clashed with Michael... I will be very happy if my above comment is proved wrong!)

Actually, it seems that airships might be making somewhat of a comeback.

Zepplin is making a non-ridgid model as well as planning a future ridgid design and there's a couple companies in the process of making ridgids for freight/heavy-lift and passenger service. One of the projects is called "sphero" if I remember right.

"...that last bird, looks unmistakably like a Dornier.."

.. because it is .... from the same bloodline :). Dornier Seastar, breeding, eh?

Last edited:
Flying boats (as distinct from float planes) served a purpose at a particular time. For the British in particular they were an ideal vehicle to support a maritime empire. There might be no airfields or infra structure but there was sure as hell water to land on.
I can't see them making a commercial come back because the market is not there. Billions have been and continue to be invested in airports and all the infrastructure, transport links etc to support them. I have recently flown into some new airports in Asia and with that kind of investment a flying boat is simply not a consideration.
Smaller flying boats and more often float planes will always serve a niche market. Someone already mentioned Alaska which is a case in point. Many smaller float planes are simply adaptations of already existing aircraft that were not specifically designed to operate from water. Many are simply converted with a 'float kit'. The fact that you can also sell a standard land based version makes them commercially viable.
Cheers
Steve

Don't tell the people of Alaska that float planes are long gone! :)

You are absolutely correct. Flying boats and float-planes abound in Alaska. I saw several Beech 18's (aka C-45) on floats, and they make excellent units for hauling cargo or passengers. Also saw quite a few Grumman products while I was there. And, of course, there's the ever popular Beaver !

Charles

Attachments

• BeechOnFLoatsLeft.jpg
    BeechOnFLoatsLeft.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Japan, Germany, Canada and Russia have recently produced flying boats. Last one for the U.S. that I know of was the Wilson Explorer in 1991.

If I had a ridiculous amount of money, I'd commission a Bv238 which would be ideal for finding that perfect tropical island with the white beaches, warm breezes and the girls serving those drinks with the little umbrellas...

Last edited:
Japan, Germany, Canada and Russia have recently produced flying boats. Last one for the U.S. that I know of was the Wilson Explorer in 1991.

I can see that there could be an economic case for Canada and Japan developing a flying boat, given the number of islands and the spread of these countries. But Germany?

Who needs to build "modern" flying boats? Not when the most beautiful one ever build is still flying...

View attachment 249427

True, there's plenty of Catalinas still flying.... ;) :lol:
I've got to say though, I do like the Dornier Do 24, great looking bird! Wish one could get modern reliable engines, so that you wouldn't ruin her looks, like with those awful turboprops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back