Flying WW2 Bomber York, UK (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TheBoss

Recruit
May 4, 2016
Hey,
I don't really know a whole lot about planes, but I'm quite interested in them (more interested in tanks and fighting vehicles). Today however, I caught a glimpse out of the window at what looked to me like a WW2 bomber, dark green, with a single tail fin (with 3 horizontal yellow stripes on it) and with white stripes across the wings. I wasn't aware that there were any airworthy WW2 bombers around near to me so am wondering which plane it was, and am wondering if any of you know. I live in York, in the United Kingdom.
Thanks

I don't recognise the description - how many engines ?
As far as I'm aware, apart from the Duxford-based Blenheim, there are no single-finned 'bombers' airworthy in the UK.
However, there are at least three airworthy Dakotas (C-47 / DC3), with the RAF's BBMF having an example in Olive Green with Neutral Gray undersides. Another is camouflaged, but I don't know its current colour scheme.
There is also a camouflaged (as above, BBMF example) at Elvington, near you, which is capable of engine runs, and was aiming to become airworthy again, although I don't think it is yet.
Below are a couple of pics of the BBMF Dakota, and a formation of US based examples which were in the UK in 2014.
Perhaps this is what you saw ?
I forgot to add - there is, of course, 'Sally B', the Duxford-based B-17G, but that doesn't have yellow stripes on the fin. Pic below.

BoB 168.jpg
Dak 1.jpg
DAK 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your answer Airframes.
I'm afraid that I didn't get a good look at the plane as it flew over. I'm used to hearing planes fly over (in fact there were some jets from Coningsby flying over this morning) and due to the good weather there quite a few pleasure aircraft flying over on that day. I only looked out of the window when I noticed that this plane sounded a bit throatier (like an old motorbike compared to a modern bike or scooter) and I only noticed the rear end of the plane before it disappeared from view over my building, so I'm afraid I didn't see the number of engines.
I'm certain however of the presence of stripes on the wings, so I don't believe that it was the Blenheim and I'm certain that it wasn't Sally-B, who I would hope I would recognise if I saw her. I may however have been mistaken about the colours of the stripes, so my guess is that it may have been one of the Dakota C-47's from BBMF. It looks like the Dakota at Elvington is airworthy (their website states that she is "operational" and used in special events), however, her colour scheme appears to be purely green with a grey undercarriage and very few markings (I have been intending to visit the museum there so I think that I will check out the Dakota there when I go sometime this summer). On the website of the RAF BBMF, the pictures for Dakota ZA947 "Kwicherbichen" looks a lot like what I saw, so I believe that that was the plane in question.
Thank you very much for your help :)

TB

You're welcome. Probably was a Dak - either the BBMF's or from 'Aces High' at North Weald, possibly transiting for a show.
The Elvington 'Dak' is in the same colour scheme as the BBMF example, with the Neutral Gray undersides, but without the 'Invasion' stripes. Last time I was there, it was able to taxy, and I think was close to being airworthy, so it might have been that you saw, if it was doing a test flight.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back