Focke Wulf FW 190-D9 "the best fighter of Germany"?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

alex33

Airman
Jul 30, 2016
Hello,

If you look through countless sources you will sometimes read the claim that the FW-190-D9 is the best German fighter of the whole 2nd World War.
But after much reading i don't think i've read many things that are in the D9's favour.
I've even read an allied report in the fw 190 books from richard smith and eddy creek that the d-9 was quite bad.
I don't have the report at hand cause i'm not at home right now.
I think i also never read a combat report where a d9 pilot shot down an enemy plane. Of course a lot of this is because late war germany lacked good pilots. So normaly i would then look what eric winkle brown said about the aircraft but as far as i have read he actually did not fly a d9 but another variant.
I really love this plane but can somebody help me with that?
Where does the opinion come from that the D9 was the best German fighter in World War 2.

Cheers!
Alex

I think internal Nazi politics had a lot to do with recognition (or lack there of) for the FW-190. I have read the Kurt Tank of FW was not in favor with Hitler as Messerschmitt was which is why the BF-109 was the backbone fighter for the Luftwaffe, even though FW-190 proved to be a better performer in power and speed.

And since the 109 was the most numerous fighter for the Luftwaffe, statistics would be in it's favor in the sheer number of missions and for pilots who would score in them. It was the most common fighter for the Allies to see so I think it was just imprinted in post war memory as the ubiquitous German fighter plane.

There are plenty of combat reports and victory claims from pilots flying the D-9. Here is just one from Oberleutnant Hans Dortenmann, for his destruction of an RAF Tempest on 28 March '45, his 31st victory.

"...After a first combing of the area and flying again on a northerly heading below the clouds, we encountered 25-30 enemy fighters of the types Tempest, Mustang and Thunderbolt. The enemy attacked our formation simultaneously from all sides..
In the turning fight at schwarm strength, I was able in a strong left turn with a half downturn from 80-30 meters, to position myself behind a Tempest. From there I fired at the enemy plane and observed hits in the fuselage and cabin. The enemy fighter straightened out from the turn and then tumbled and finally spun vertically down from an altitude of 1200 meters. The kill took place at 11.34h. I observed the crash with a fiery explosion about 5Km south west of Munster at some forest. I did not notice a parachute opening.
During the course of this air battle I observed three more fiery crashes in this area, among them the downing of a Tempest by Unteroffizier Hein."

The 190 was only German plane introduced during the War to make a significant contribution to the German War effort. The later in-line versions had suppior specifications to the 109, but from reading accounts, I think it came down to the pilot.

The 190 was also the main tactical plane for the Luftwaffe for the later part of the War. Imagine the USAF relying solely on the P-47 for all its tactical needs.

The 190 was only German plane introduced during the War to make a significant contribution to the German War effort. The later in-line versions had suppior specifications to the 109, but from reading accounts, I think it came down to the pilot.

The 190 was also the main tactical plane for the Luftwaffe for the later part of the War. Imagine the USAF relying solely on the P-47 for all its tactical needs.
The Bf109 was well above the Fw190 in it's contributions.

While the Fw190 (both fighter and ground attack versions) was a formidable machine, the Bf109 bore the brunt of Luftwaffe actions and generated more Aces.

From sheer performance standpoint, the Me 262 is clearly superior to any FW 190 but operational record must always be considered (IMO). For the same reasons the P-80 is superior to the Mustang or Corsair - it would be hard to name the P-80 as the US best fighter.

From sheer performance standpoint, the Me 262 is clearly superior to any FW 190 but operational record must always be considered (IMO). For the same reasons the P-80 is superior to the Mustang or Corsair - it would be hard to name the P-80 as the US best fighter.
Agreed - the Me262's performance was impressive, but the Bf109 and Fw190 were true fighters in that sense, the Me262 was not.

The Bf109 was well above the Fw190 in it's contributions.

While the Fw190 (both fighter and ground attack versions) was a formidable machine, the Bf109 bore the brunt of Luftwaffe actions and generated more Aces.

If you re-read his statement, you will se he says that the Fw 190 was the only aircraft introduced during the war which made a significant contribution.

Hey dd you proposed the Ta 152 which had almost no combat record. I just thought that the 262 deserved a mention as its problems were lack of fuel pilots and numbers, given enough 262s with good pilots and fuel it could have changed the war, the Russians would have reached the Netherlands.

Just joking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back