Folding Wings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Velius

Airman 1st Class
Sep 4, 2007
Central Texas
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can see a schematic or a sketch on how aircraft wings fold- particularly the folding style of the wildcat and/or hellcat. I'm able to find text descriptions, but it's kinda difficult to picture it's operation without a drawing. Any info will be appreciated.

Oh, other drawings on simple folding wings (like that found on the Corsair) will be helpful also!

Thanks 8)

Try this, this one is from the book published monographie on the F6F hellcat.

Attachments

• hellcat.JPG
    hellcat.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 3,195
Hi,
These pics are from two books "In Detail Scale" Vol.26 and 49 - Grummman F6F Hellcat

Attachments

• hellcat wing fold.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 439
  • hellcat wing fold_1.jpg
    hellcat wing fold_1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,732
How does the wing locking system look like? It must be pretty strong...
How many minutes did it take to fold/unfold the wings?

On the Hellcat, it's very quick. A release is held in the cockpit and one person can swing the wing up into the locked position, although we typically use 2 because of the size and weight. On the Bearcat and the Zero, it's just wingtip folds.

Very good stuff!

There were no fuel or electrical lines to be disconnected? I do remember that the Hellcat had wing tanks, but I guess they were in the inboard sections.

Yes two main fuel tanks were mounted in the central section and the spare one under a pilot's seat.

Does someone know the angles of the hinges (seen from the side and from the front)? From the sketches I measure alpha = 60 and beta = 30 deg. Do you think that's right? Or do you think a dummy mockup is the only way to find things out (OK 3D-CAD would also work).

Attachments

• Fluegel_Klappwinkel.jpg
    Fluegel_Klappwinkel.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,879
I sent a letter to Grumman concerning the wing fold angles and they sent me the following:
1. XF4F-8 General Arrangement drawing SP1250, a section of
2. F6F-5 General Arrangement drawing # 27913, a section of
3. F4F Modelers Packet
5. F6F Modelers Packet

The alpha angle you are looking for is 63 degrees and 40 minutes from horizontal
The beta angle you are looking for is 28 degrees and 30 minutes from the vertical
Grumman address is:
Northrup Grumman History Center
Bethpage N. Y. 11714
Mail stop L05-25

Thanks a lot :thumbright:

Having the data I could start making the mechanism :oops: Well, meanwhile I have to finish the mold of the fuselage.

Joe

Sorry. but I did not get if the wings folding was only manual with the help of 1-2 men on the deck or there were pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders and pilot could fold unfold wings independently?

I'm reproducing the ACAD full size drawings of the f6f Hellcat, do you still have the "#27913" drawing and can you post it? I have just started the 2D drawings and need to confirm some dimensions before I start the 3D modeling.

The angles shown in the previous drawing are incorrect with respect the the thrust line and rotational angles are significantly different from other views.

I've often wondered on the A6M "Zero" the folding wingtips.

102013614.jpg

Why so small?

I believe that it was all that was required for storage below deck, and to clear the hangar to deck lifts - but I could be wrong of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back