For all Spitfire Fans (1 Viewer)

Favourite Spitfire variant

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

helmitsmit

Airman 1st Class
Mar 9, 2005
Swansea
What was your favourite type of Spitfire/Seafire. In the poll I am giving a choice of the main variants.

I now what you mean. Although, my favourite merlined mark is the VIII with the retractable tail wheel (much more refined). I saw a mk VIII with a bouble canopy looked great (in my opinion). That why I prefer the late mk XIVs, XVIIIs along with the humps on the cylinders, power! They have to have the eliptical wing though or it doesn't work

My favourite Spitfire in terms of look though is the Mk III fighter variant.

I like the early versions of the Spitfire ,they look very light on the contrary to my favourite German fighter and later Spits.I vote for the Mk.I-IX,especially for MkIX.

Just out of interest what do you think about the Seafang and Spiteful? Personally I think they look like a cross between a Mustang and a Spitfire mk 24. It really doesn't work does it? The eliptical wing was actually more aerodynamic!

helmitsmit said:
Just out of interest what do you think about the Seafang and Spiteful? Personally I think they look like a cross between a Mustang and a Spitfire mk 24. It really doesn't work does it? The eliptical wing was actually more aerodynamic!
To all intents and purposes they were a Spitfire with a Mustangs low flow laminar wing and your right. It didn't really work.

About the mkX1X don't you think the prop should be five bladed rather then cotra-rotating?

The mk XVI was a mk IX with a bouble canopy. Shame they didn't do a "bouble" mk VIII for the far east.

The later ones (21, 22 etc). Theyre the only ones that look as good as everyone seems to think Spitfires do.

there are several great things about the way the spit looks, and i've seen some planes that come close to her looks (the lanc included) however none that beat her.........

cheddar cheese said:
I think not...Theres nothing amazing about the way the Spitfire looks. I think there are several planes which far eclipse it in terms of looks.

What do you think looks better? As I'm inclined to disagree!!! lol It better have a special feature like (eliptical wing) the spitfire.

I voted for the Spitfire XIV, I love the looks of that powerful Griffon up-front. However, I do love the looks of all the Spitfires.

The Spitfire VIII had more structural improvements than the Spitfire IX. For all intents and purposes, the Spitfire IX was simply a Mk.VC with a Merlin 60 series engine in it. The Mk.VIII was redesigned to be fitted with the Merlin 60 series engines, so it was more refined.

My favourite is Mk VIII. She has the finest line..is the most beautiful of all of them. Considering Griffon engined 21 and 22 are cool. I don't like Spiteful tail section of 24 and 47. The ugliest marks of all, yet I like late type wings. Maybe they are nao as pretty as the "original" ones, yet they are OK.
Regards

plan_D said:
I voted for the Spitfire XIV, I love the looks of that powerful Griffon up-front. However, I do love the looks of all the Spitfires.

The Spitfire VIII had more structural improvements than the Spitfire IX. For all intents and purposes, the Spitfire IX was simply a Mk.VC with a Merlin 60 series engine in it. The Mk.VIII was redesigned to be fitted with the Merlin 60 series engines, so it was more refined.

I agree about that but why didn't they put a bouble canopy mk VIII into production like they did with the mk IX (mk XVI)? Why didn't they put a retractable tailwheel on the mks V (needed a performance boost against 190), IX and XVI (you install a bouble canopy why not a retractable tail wheel)?

Actually, they could have done a lot to the mk V other than improving the engine. Most of the refinements on the mk III would have helped! Retractable tailwheel, complete landing gear fairing, better wind screen and longer fuselarge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back