FOREST FIRES

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

glad everyone made it out safe. vehicles can be replaced....wild fires are a dicey business...especially ones of that magnitude. good luck out there...

They won't call in super tankers unless the fire reaches a certain size and/or proximity to habitation

As it happens, the fires are only several days old, but are growing at an alarming rate...this area where the supertanker video was shot, is about 5 minutes driving distance from the city of Burney, in eastern Shasta County, to the east where I am.

Burney is about 50 miles (80 km) away.

Locally, we have the French fire burning with 12000 acres burned so far and only 20% containment. Was started by an illegal campfire left unattended. Do get to see some nice Neptunes taking off though.

So you're down on the other end of the valley.

We actually have rain on the way from the east, hopefully it'll give the crews an edge on containment. The downside, is lightning and high winds may acompany the rain.

It'llbe interesting to see how this plays out.

GrauGeist, I live in Fresno, the butt of many jokes. Went to Redding for a week in Sept. 1991. Have you checked out the Shasta Caverns? Found them to be interesting when I went.

The amount of smoke in the air is still heavy, though the two fires around town are now out. Comparing the color of the mountains...

Untitled.jpg
001.JPG

Geo

GrauGeist, I live in Fresno, the butt of many jokes. Went to Redding for a week in Sept. 1991. Have you checked out the Shasta Caverns? Found them to be interesting when I went.
One of my Uncles retired from a U.S. Navy career and lived in Fresno for several years and yes, I have been a visitor to Shasta Caverns since I was a little kid...this whole region is dotted with really neat caves, actually.

The amount of smoke in the air is still heavy, though the two fires around town are now out. Comparing the color of the mountains...

Geo
Glad to hear your fires are under control, we had rain last night and a little more again this morning, add to that the high humidity from the monsoonal moisture of this low pressure system that's in the area and fires are slowing down (banking). So is a huge boost to the fire crews!

Here we go again, guys!

This afternoon, a boat came off a trailer on Highway 299, triggering a fire on the edge of Weaverville, the county seat of Trinity County, about 45 miles west of me. While the proximity of the fire is of no threat to me, here in Redding, it is less than two miles from my Mom's house. As it stands, the fire is moving eastward, away from my Mom's place but it is encircling the historic town of Weaverville (gold rush era town, built in 1849). The fire has already consumed some newer homes, and is threatening the Trinity High School and the Sheriff's department as well as the town itself. Most of downtown Weaverville was built with bricks after it burnt down in 1859 (as most towns did back then) but there's alot of history there and in the surrounding areas all in jeopardy.

They sent in all sorts of assets this afternoon, including the DC-10 tanker but weren't able to stop the fire from growing. At last count, it was nearing 1,000 acres and growing fast.

Oregon fire destroys structure, causes school closings | Home - Home

Oregon Fire General Information

Looks like it's been a bad year all over Dave. While things have calmed down around here, the BC government has brought in fire fighting experts from Ontario and Australia to deal with the rest of the provincial fires. There is still one fire north of me(#1 on the map in Post#11 that is still massive out of control and they say the only way it's going to go out is from the winter snowfall. Everyone stay safe down there.

Geo

Not good Dave, hope you Mum and all stay safe. As we know from down here, property can be rebuilt and the land recovers all be it slowly, but the pain, anguish, trauma and heaven forbid, the loss of life lives can be with you forever.

Almost 2 hours ago, a fire broke out on the outskirts of the city of Weed, 50 miles to the north of here. The fire is being driven by high winds and very low humidity and has covered well over 200 acres and growing rapidly. The fire has moved into town and has so far comsumed over 100 structures, most being well over 100 years old and date back to the Gold Rush era.

Residences, businesses and one of the lumber mills are burning. At this moment, they have no estimate of containment.

So sad to hear old historic buildings are destroyed. My heart goes out to those brave souls, fire-fighters, volunteers and the like who bust a gut and put themselves at risk to help contain these fires and hopefully save the day.

A state of emergency has been declared in my province. The red dots are new fires that started over night due to lightning. The wife is on her way to visit daughter #2 in Kamloops. So far the main route there is closed in 3 locations so they are taking an alternate route. However, there are 9 fires along that highway...

Capture.JPG

138 fires started over night, so far 38,000 people have been evacuated. The small community of Cache Creek, pop. about 1000 is all but surrounded by fire. That area is grassland so with the winds the fire spreads very fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back