Former Marine beaten unconscious protecting teen from 3 bullies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
After a brave, 43 year old, former U.S. Marine sustained serious injuries after taking a beating from three boys bullying a teenager and his father; the bullies have all been arrested and now face felony criminal charges in South Florida.
Wen Jones, was leaving Juno Beach with his wife and daughters back in May when he witnessed three young men, all 20-years-old, bullying 14-year-old Zion and his father, LeRoy Wright, 55.
Although beachgoers stood around videotaping the confrontation, no one stepped up to do anything except Jones who was beaten unconscious by the three boys who continued to kick and punch him.
And still, no one stepped forward to help, but the cellphone cameras continue to roll.
Wright meanwhile had run to his car to obtain a baseball bat. He returned to the unconscious Jones and drove the three bullies off with his bat.
Jones suffered a concussion and broken bones in his face that required surgery, and it was because of the severity of his injuries that the original misdemeanor battery charges were elevated to felony battery charges against Cody Roon, Tyler Carswell and Eric Deiter, last week, WPBF-TV reported.
Jones told the station he would do it all again: ""Doing the right thing is always the right thing, so I guess I would."
The thug kids had bullied Zion and his father, Wright, all day at the beach, the report said, but the fight broke out as Wright and his son were trying to leave.
Wright and his son were profusely grateful for the help, and Wright said Jones deserves a "Purple Heart" for being a "true Samaritan."
So I applaud this Marine's courage but…. He almost died leaving his own family alone and his injuries may lead to permanent impairment. One 43YO against 3 - 20YOs needs an equalizer, enter the baseball bat without which this Marine might well have been killed. As Grandpappy said: "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps and usually it is when he becomes too old to take an ass whooping

salute_zps4360a7b8.png

I hope their backsides become the pleasure of a thousand inmates! Disgraceful and sadly typical of our times!

All the people that were standing around should be ashamed of themselves. Disgraceful. No excuse for them all gawking while three punks run rough-shod over a man and his boy to begin with.

A classic example of safety in numbers can be found in the animal kindgom where a Cape Buffalo will stand up against a pack of lions single-handed. When the others in the herd see one in distress, they will come to the aid of thier herd-member and drive the lions off, even occasionally seriously wounding or even killing a lion or two in the process.

Humans have no excuse.

Sadly, if he had been packing and shot one of these "kids" BEFORE he had taken his beating to within inches of his life, he would likely be charged. Or worse would become the next George Zimmerman.

Kudos to the former Marine for doing the right thing.

Everyone one of those shits on the beach who was filming this with their cell phones needs to get an ass whooping as well.

The 3 20 years old, deserve to be locked away in a dark dungeon with bread and water and nothing else, never to see daylight again. They are drain on society and have no place among law abiding decent people.

Another question is did any of the voyeurs bother to call 911 or did they just stand around playing with their cell phones?

Last edited:
2 theories...

1. They are cowards.

2. Humanity is lost. No one cares about their fellow man anymore. It is better to catch the next big Youtube sensation.
I say both theories are dead-on...

Same thing happened when those douchebags attacked Private Rigby. While everyone stood around, a woman is the only person who went to his aid.

2 theories...

1. They are cowards.

2. Humanity is lost. No one cares about their fellow man anymore. It is better to catch the next big Youtube sensation.

I think both are at least partially correct, in that the spectators did not consider the people getting beaten up to be part of their community: they were strangers, perhaps they were of the wrong ethnic group, or they weren't dressed right, or whatever. The marine felt they were part of his, and it was worth risking injury to help them.

the precise reason i have a concealed weapons permit....not trying to start any debate...merely stating a fact. that $#!T aint happening while i am around.

To answer some questioned raised, race did indeed play a role. The three big brave 20YOs were white and the 14YO and his dad were black. The Marine was white. As to all the brave souls standing around the news article did not make any mention of race, age, or physical condition. As to what if anythings was going through their minds one can only guess. One can only hope that, at the very least, someone called 911 The Marine was a pretty big guy and looked to be in reasonably good shape as were the 3 attackers. Now 3 to one is never fair odds and our Marine almost died and came close to loosing an eye.
Personally I'm too old to take that type of beating. I'm not jumping in to do battle with 3 20YOs unless I have something to make the odds more equal. I'm not normally a "fire a warning shoot" or "shoot to would" type but in this case, a shot in the air to get everyones attention and a leveled 9mm would have quickly ended the attack. Now if they were crazy enough to ignore the 9mm and turn to attack you, you then have just cause to shoot to harm.
So like Bobby, I carry

I have no time whatsoever for bullies, of any any age, race or creed. It's a shame that each one of those scum can't be put through the Marine's basic training course, but without any of the rest, or accolades that go with the course, before being dumped into the deepest pit available and left to rot.
People like that are a waste of rations, and not worthy to be part of civilisation - **** 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back