Fosset Found?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

God's speed buddy, now for the rest of the remains and A/C as well. Out of Mammoth and yes this would be the time as the snows and Glaicers on the east side of the Sierra are at their lowest points till November snows

thanks Comiso

well there should be remains of his small light craft even if it has been scattered, there are quite a few basalt cragged ridges around mammoth my ol stomping grounds as a kid.......one of the probs is going to be traversing everything to find him whatever is left as it is ridge after ridge, a person could lose themselves out there very easily

What's the distance from where he was found and where he took off? What's the speed and range of the bird he was flying? Where was he last seen?

I don't know the area so I'm just tossing it out there but isn't that a distance away from where he was last seen? Does the math work?

just found out the hiker who owns a ski shop most likely in Mammoth was hiking along the trail to Minaret Lake. punch up the Minarets in the Eastern Sierra, Californai and you will understand the ruggedness of the area. if he hit one of those crags then he and the craft have gotten themselves stuck literally in one of the very steep chutes separating each one of those 13 plus crags along the ridge line, of course he could of hit Banner or Garnet Peaks or a sub peak in the area...of course it is still too early to say. Minaret lake is across and around the corner of a ridge from Deadhorse lake sitting near 10,000 feet in elevation, spectacular surroundings, just to the NW is Cecile and Iceberg lakes and to the west is the Minaret chain of ridges

look like a beautiful place to climb not for crashing an A/C

Cecil and Iceberg lakes with the Min's

Attachments

• 248449.jpg
    248449.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 94
Good info Erich...

I'd like to know if he survived the initial impact. Would survival gear have helped him?

well he was lost the first week in September of 07, not sure when the first fall snows came on the Sierras but at over 10,000ft he would be in a world of hurt even in a flat meadow at that altitude with frost imminent at anytime, plus the winds.

think you are right Joe and the Palisades as well as south on the Whitney Massif, though higher and more open the barreness starts to look all the same, there is so much area to cover it is probably fruitless though anyone can bet the private search will be on as the area is now limited in scope

I have hiked that area as well. Very rugged terrain and the snows come pretty early up there. With the bears, wolves and coyotes up there, I doubt they will find any remains, but the aircraft will likely be scattered, especially if he went down in the minarets. I don't think there is anywhere in the Minarets you could even put a copter down.

not to be nit picky but there are no wolves in CA..
except at the bars!

Gray Wolf Range in the Conterminous United States

I'm not sure there are many coyotes at that altitude either as there is way more food down lower.

Mountain coyotes tend to stay under 7000 feet.

Ants, moisture and rot would do more erosion to a body then any mammal.

(CNN) -- Search teams looking for millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett may have found the wreckage of the plane he was flying when he disappeared more than a year ago.
Steve Fossett, seen here with his wife, Peggy, disappeared after a solo flight in 2007.

The Madera County, California, Sheriff's Department said the wreckage was spotted Wednesday during an aerial search of the area where a hiker had discovered identification with the missing aviator's name.

According to The Associated Press, Preston Morrow said he found three identification cards with Fossett's name and about $1000 in cash Monday tangled in a bush just west of the town of Mammoth Lakes.

Erica Stuart, a spokesman for the sheriff's department, said a ground crew will be dispatched to make a definite determination on the wreckage. The sheriff is expected to reveal more information on Thursday.

"We're not certain that it belongs to Steve Fossett, but it certainly has his name on the ID," said Mammoth Lakes, California, Police Chief Randy Schienle. Video Watch police chief describe hiker's discovery »

Schienle said a sweatshirt was also found in the area.

Fossett was last seen on the morning of September 3, 2007, when he took off from the Flying-M Ranch outside Minden, Nevada, on a "pleasure flight" over the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range in a single-engine plane. He was carrying one bottle of water and had no parachute.

Fossett had planned to fly over the Nevada desert for two to three hours before returning for lunch at the ranch owned by hotel magnate Barron Hilton.

When Fossett failed to return, a search began that ultimately included thousands of volunteers, hundreds of officials and dozens of aircraft that scoured an area more than twice the size of New Jersey.

The search was officially suspended on October 2, 2007. A Chicago, Illinois, probate court judge declared Fossett dead in February.
advertisement

Fossett made his money in the financial services industry, but he is renowned for his daredevil exploits, which include non-stop, round-the-world trips aboard a balloon, a fixed-wing plane and a boat.

Fossett was the first person to circle the globe solo in a balloon, accomplishing the feat in 2002, and the first to fly a plane around the world solo without refueling, which he did in 2005. He also set world records in round-the-world sailing and cross-country skiing.

Searchers find wreckage possibly belonging to Fossett - CNN.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back