Found in our Attic

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MBflyer

Recruit
Sep 27, 2016
Hi everyone. I recently came across(almost thrown away)what we think may be a pretty important air relic to the local Aviation community. It is a hand drawn 1924 Douglas Torpedo Plane DT-2B Plan which seems to be signed off by both Mr Douglas as the Chief Engineer as well as J.K. Northrop. Might there be anyone their that might be able to tell us a little more about the piece?

T Bolt, know anything more about it? I have no idea what it's worth is, both monetary and sentimental.

Your Welcome!

That is a remarkable find and it would be interesting to know the back story behind how it came into your family's possession. Also, if memory serves me right, that was Douglas' first shot at a military contract, it is noteworthy just in that respect.

Regarding the Orange County museums, if you're referring to Orange County, California (which I'm a native of), the closest thing we had to an aviation museum back in my time, was the Cars of Stars/Planes of Fame in Buena Park! :lol:

You are correct, Orange County CA. Lyon Air Museum is our favorite place to take the kids, located on the Santa Ana Airport runway. I recently mustered up and bought a ticket on a 45 min flight on a B-17, it was an def. an amazing once in a lifetime experience sitting in the nose gunner position flying over the Long beach Coast.

Someone at Boeing may be interested in it. You could ask if they have a big display somewhere and if they take pieces on loan like museums do.

According to Wikipedia (so not sure how accurate it is):
DT-2B - This designation was given to one DT-2 aircraft supplied to the Norwegian government. Seven similar aircraft were built under licence in Norway.

So there may even be Norwegian museums interested...

You are correct, Orange County CA. Lyon Air Museum is our favorite place to take the kids, located on the Santa Ana Airport runway. I recently mustered up and bought a ticket on a 45 min flight on a B-17, it was an def. an amazing once in a lifetime experience sitting in the nose gunner position flying over the Long beach Coast.
My first rides in warbirds came from Orange County Airport when I was a kid...back in those days, there were a great many warbirds there. WWII, Korean and such...a B-17, a B-24 and a handful of fighters.

There were also handful up at Fullerton Airport, a couple at Meadowlark airfield (including a WWI aircraft - not the red biplane, but an old Jenny) and of course, quite a few up at Chino (but that's not Orange County, so it doesn't count!) :lol:

Glad to hear you were able to land a ride on a B-17, it is a memorable experience. Cruising along the coastline must have offered a great view, but just imagine being at 30,000 feet with temps about -35 degrees and the Germans throwing everything they had at you...then it become a little humbling.

I couldn't agree with you more about the humbling part. The size of the gun chair alone made me think that they were made for men that were about half my size and age. I couldn't begin to imagine what they were going through up there at that time.

Good Idea, I will write to them and inquire.

One of our members, Guttorm, works in the restoration dept of the RNoAF Museum at Gardermoen, and might be able to advise you.
He hasn't been on the forums for some time, but I have his contact details and can get in touch with him if you'd like me to ?

That would be greatly appreciated, l've wrote to numerous places and have had zero luck so far. Thanks!

I couldn't agree with you more about the humbling part. The size of the gun chair alone made me think that they were made for men that were about half my size and age. I couldn't begin to imagine what they were going through up there at that time.

They were simply designing to the 'norm' of the day as far as projected weight and height. The AAF and USN had notions of standards but exceptions were made. The Contractor standard was usually 200 pound per person including gear.

The Western Museum of Flight in Torrance, Ca. has a lot of Northrop stuff. They may be interested or be able to tell you where to contact someone from Northrop Grumman who is interested in assembling Jack Northrop memorabilia. I once saw Jack Northrop, in a wheel chair, as he came to be briefed on the B-2 bomber.

Thanks for the info! I will def. Contact them on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back