Four-cannon Spitfire Vc non-tropicalised? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B0BY_1234567

Airman
Sep 23, 2021
Hello! I have a question regarding Spitfire Vs.

From what I've learned, the earliest Spitfire Vcs were supplied with four 20mm cannons in the wing, without the Vokes filter. I have seen some photos of these aircraft (AA873, EN767), but I'm wondering if any people may have photos of other Spits with the specified configuration. I'm trying to make a model of one and I am trying to find photos of other four-cannon Spitfires. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, this is my first post here, so if there's anything that I'm doing wrong please let me know!

AA963
spitfire-v-AA963-Chicago-April-1942.jpg

the pic source: Malta Spitfire Mk V

Thanks for the reply!

Ah, AA963! This one was sent to the U.S, no? It came up a lot during my searches.

The only x 4 cannon spits im aware of were the malta spitfires. That configuration would not be seen again until the mk 22/24 post war. Always wondered why the mk lx didnt go down the x4 tempest cannon route. Wasnt the mk lv supposed to have 4 cannon? The fact that supermarine made so many variants in a jumbled order doesnt surprise me that spits like this were found.

AA873 was used for testing at Boscombe Down but I don't believe it was just a test aircraft. It was tested to see what difference the extra 20mm made to the performance of the normal Spit Vc.
In brief there was an impact on its climb but little difference to the max speed or handling.

I have heard of 4 x 20mm Spits being used where they mainly flew GA missions but infrequently as the additional firepower wasn't huge and the Climb rate of the Spit was one of its principle advantages in combat

The only x 4 cannon spits im aware of were the malta spitfires. That configuration would not be seen again until the mk 22/24 post war. Always wondered why the mk lx didnt go down the x4 tempest cannon route. Wasnt the mk lv supposed to have 4 cannon? The fact that supermarine made so many variants in a jumbled order doesnt surprise me that spits like this were found
I thought that all early Vcs were delivered with four cannons, though as Malta pilots found they didn't need them the modification was removed in favour of two cannons and 4 MGS. I could be wrong though.

I do think that Spitfire AB196, which was converted to Mk. IX standard, had the four cannons, though this is only from a model plane kit instruction so I could be wrong. I can't get the source right now but I can link it in a bit.

AA873 had 4 x 20 and no filter
View attachment 662111
im guessing this is a test aircraft that simply hasnt had its filter fitted. Was this a combat aircraft? It doesnt look like it in this pic. And that canopy sure looks strange...

Regarding the AA873 ... the 1st production Spitfire Mk.VC named 'Manchester Air Cadet'. This aircraft spent most of its life on engine-related trials work. Later converted to F.Mk.IX standard (Merlin 61), and was later fitted with a Merlin 66 and used by de Havilland for trials with contra-rotating propellers.

AA873_a.jpg

AA873_b.jpg

the soiurce: the net.

And AA878 ... the first production Spitfire Mk.VC named 'Manchester Merchant Trader'. It was initially retained for armament trials and is seen here with four 20 mm (0.79 in) Hispano cannon. it subsequently flew with Nos.411, 341 and 453 Sqds, before suffering a landing mishap at Sumburgh. Repaired by LMSR (London, Midland and Scottish Railways) it was delivered to No.1 TEU (Tactical Exercise Unit) on 17th August, 1944.

full.jpg

the source: the net.

And AA878 ... the first production Spitfire Mk.VC named 'Manchester Merchant Trader'. It was initially retained for armament trials and is seen here with four 20 mm (0.79 in) Hispano cannon. it subsequently flew with Nos.411, 341 and 453 Sqds, before suffering a landing mishap at Sumburgh. Repaired by LMSR (London, Midland and Scottish Railways) it was delivered to No.1 TEU (Tactical Exercise Unit) on 17th August, 1944.

View attachment 663051
the source: the net.
This is a great photo! Do you have any photos of the other side in case it had any art like AA873?

Unfortunately I don't have a such pic. Actually I haven't seen the pic with the starboard of the kite. But looking at other Spits of the Manchester Fund series with the similar in form like arts, I would say it must have been like the ones for (AA873) Manchester Air Cadet , (AA881) Manchester Corporation Transporter , (AA879) Manchester Civil Defender, etc ..... images of the two last emblems you may find at Presentation Spitfires
Just scroll down to the AB serials and click the blue "Photo" links next to the names of the Spits.

Here is the larger shot of the AA878 found at the Supermarine Spitfire

Factory-fresh-Spitfire-Vc-RAF-AA878-England.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a such pic. Actually I haven't seen the pic with the starboard of the kite. But looking at other Spits of the Manchester Fund series with the similar in form like arts, I would say it must have been like the ones for (AA873) Manchester Air Cadet , (AA881) Manchester Corporation Transporter , (AA879) Manchester Civil Defender, etc ..... images of the two last emblems you may find at Presentation Spitfires
Just scroll down to the AB serials and click the blue "Photo" links next to the names of the Spits.

Here is the larger shot of the AA878 found at the Supermarine Spitfire

View attachment 663089
Ok, that makes sense. If that's the case then I'd probably still have to custom order a decal for the side art, so I'd still be probably making AA873

I see. However because there is no evidence the emblem was on the AA878 fuselage applied I would add it. Certainly that's your choice which Spit you want to replicate. The 'Manchester Merchant Trader' would be a nice choice though although the custom decal of the emblem would be a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back