Four weeks for Fourth GB. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Just reminding you all that there are 28 days left for the Heavy Hitters Group Build. This time around, it would be nice to avoid extensions, as it slows up the judging and announcement of the results. However IF anyone thinks they need an extra day or two (not a week or two), then contact me or one of the other judges, and we'll see if it's possible.
Thanks for your participation and enthusiasm, and remember, the 'D-Day Stripes' GB starts today (well, in this half of the World anyway) !!
Cheers,
Terry.

Time flies when your having fun, or in my case too busy and sometimes just too lazy to work on models. I won't winning any awards with my build, but at least it's a start.
4 weeks to go and I just finished my cockpit tub, yikes, I better get a move on.

BTW here is a link to a 1/48 scale Gabreski P-47. I suspect you will be doing a 1/32 scale bird though.

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/p47dgabbyfw_1.htm

Last edited:
Everything and everything u got T.....

I have zip... I was plannin on doin some searchin and rootin, but I have no ref material on hand for the P-47, let alone Gabreski's...

Im real interested to see if theres a pic of his plane as it was on Invasion Day.... Not even sure yet how many kills he had on June 6th...

This? Cause he had another camo I think.

Attachments

• GABRESKI'S P-47.jpg
    GABRESKI'S P-47.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 127
  • P-47 2.jpg
    P-47 2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 137
Have not seen a ton of Pictures of Gabreski's Thunderbolt. The one Harrison just posted is the most seen, not sure if I've really seen too many others? One variation of the Invasion Stripes I've seen other modellers make is having black borders around the white stripes. Not sure how accurates this is as I don't recall seeing an actual picture with these markings.

I'll did through my Thunderbolt books tonight and scan anything I find. Will post whatever I come up with tomorrow.

Attachments

• Gabreski P-47.jpg
    Gabreski P-47.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 138
Link to a painting of the T-Bolt Gabreskiy was flying in July5, 1944 when he scored his 28th Victory. And a couple more pictures of Gabby next ot his P-47's.

Seems to me there is one more picture out the that show his P-47 with three additional kill marking on it for a total of 31. This reflect his ground kills as well as arial victories.

Top scoring ETO ace Col. Francis Gabreski also Korean War ace

Attachments

• gabby01.jpg
    gabby01.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Gaby_Gabreski__Crew__P-47_Thunderbolt.jpg
    Gaby_Gabreski__Crew__P-47_Thunderbolt.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
This link might help (scroll down a ways in the article to find a discussion of Grabeski's plane) and a couple of shots of other models.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/july/aviation/p47.htm

There are two decal sets I know of for Grabeski's plane: one is an aeromaster set and the other is techmod. It's only the techmod set (first photo) that has the black borders around the fuselage stripes; the aeromaster set does not have them (photos 2 and 3).

Attachments

• p47d72ms_5.jpg
    p47d72ms_5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 126
  • jacksonp47dg.jpg
    jacksonp47dg.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 130
  • jacksonp47di.jpg
    jacksonp47di.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 148

Users who are viewing this thread

Back