Friends....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
This is the forum that I've stayed the longest with and have most posts in. And with that I'm not saying that I'm a guy that looks to do the most posts in the shortest period of time or post so that I can add to my account. To me, it only represent the huge amount of respect that I feel towards all of you, and to those on here that are veterans, the amount of respect, gratitude and the honor to call you my friends. Unfortunately, you guys and gal, are too far away for me to shake your hand and say thank you. I haven't always seen eye to eye on some things here, but I'm here to learn and that I do every single day, one way or another. I think that I've learned more here about WWII and WWI etc. here, than I ever did in 11 years in school and I savor every moment that I spend here doing so...
I look forward spending another year on here, among close friends, making new friends, get some stick and give some back, learn and someone might even learn from me....(I know, hard to believe, eh?).

Should we against all odds ever get together for HUGE party, we'll have to set a special table for those no longer with us....

A small round table that will be set to symbolize soldiers who were killed or are missing in action. The small size of the table will be a symbol of frailty.

The white tablecloth is to represented the purity of the occasion. A single yellow rose in a delicate vase to signify the memory of the fallen soldier. The red ribbon tied around the vase is for the echo of bloodshed.

On the table will be a simple white bread plate dressed with a single lemon wedge. The arrangement is to symbol the bitter fate the soldier faced.

Next to the plate will be a saltshaker. The grains of salt is to represent the tears of the near and dear, the family and friends.

An inverted wine glass is to be placed on the table. As this soldier will not enjoy toasts with the mess hall.

The single chair at the table will be tipped forward. Because no one will be sitting at the table of the fallen soldier.

:salute: :( :salute:

A Very Happy New Year to you all!

Respectfully,
Jan

good idea and happy new year to all not going to be here in afganistan

sorry if i miss spelled that

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Some of us over here are certainly close enough for it to happen (if I can ever be arsed to move from St Andrews/home to anywhere else :lol:). No doubt it would be a forgettable night ;)

On another tangent I echo Jan's thoughts :salute:

First off, great words and sentiments Jan! I thoroughly agree with you.
Second, what a brilliant idea Thor'!
Now here's something else we can try to organise; if an International, Internet based modelling competition can be got underway the way it has, it should be fairly simple (cough!) to ask people to get together for a p**s up!!
I'm in!

Amen ............ thanks to all for the threads, the silliness, the information passed along freely. quite a large group of interest here

you guys in the UK need to get together for some rounds and a mini ww2a/c reunion. we may a bit of a prob getting all in the states together because of mileages

Well said Jan!

Your post is a tough act to follow. I'm sure those sentiments are shared by many here.

TO

very well put jan excellent post mate.
well terry(airframes) and myself will be sharing a few tall frosty ones when i pop across the northern part of england to visit him in macclesfield next week !

i'll even try and get a pic of him so he can be posted in the mugshot thread !!!!

Jan, great stuff!

I have to say that the past year would have been very dull without this forum. Although I'm on alot, its not the driving force in my life but a very nice and welcome addition. It has become a very relaxing, learning expierence much better than any therapist.

I came here because of a crazy project I was doing. I actually thought I could do a day-by-day account of the Luftwaffe to get published and while I haven't actually given that up, I'm very happy to contribute through the "This Day In..." thread. It satisfies me.

This year I was able to meet Charles and TO for a grand time watching warbirds and smelling the oil and fumes and becoming deaf from the radials. To be able to actually met someone that has a love of aircraft and to be connected through this wonderful thing called Internet is just amazing to me! It has become real. I haven't been much past the Jersey border but to be able to sit and coverse with people from Aussieland, Poland, Germany - hell, even the other side of my own country! - is just fantastic!

Through the year I spoke to Doug, was slightly involved in a wonderful day for 2 members here who decided to get hitched, recieved a wonderful gift from a Canadian friend, PBfoot and hopefully helped an 11 yr old expand his fascination and love for airplanes. Wayne has allowed me to believe I can master modelling like I did in my younger days, Wurger has tutored me on something I've always wanted to do (manipulate pics!) and Lucky has allowed me to sharpen my comedic writing skills ( although that may not be a plus!! :)) All the while learning more about warbirds and WWII than any textbook could teach.

Just as my home is open should anyone ever decided to visit this little patch of earth, I'm sure I would be welcome to many here. Imagine. Places AROUND THE WORLD that no hotel or travel agency could supply and I'm sure to make you feel at home and with family.

And that is what I feel. Family. That is what this place is to me - not to supplant my own but as a welcome feeling among friends. I count myself very lucky to call many here my friends - a word that really doesn't do justice to how I feel.

I'll get off my soapbox now, wait for the inevitable razzing and rip open that plastic bag of that 410. Only have till May!!

Hope you all have a great 2009 and looking forward to some more shenanigans!

Agree with you Chris! This place really feeds my interest in WWII and doing so beyond what any teacher or schoolbook could ever do, not even close!
I'm more convinced that I could learn just as much about WWI, Korea and Vietnam, which I'm also am interested in...
As for other hobbies, this is I think, the only forum where I can share the love for hot rods and kustoms (old school), Railroads, cars, motorcycles, nice architecture....the list could go on!
Just as you say Chris, my door will always be open for any of you that happens to be in the neighbourhood. We might not have much warbird action around here, but there are plenty of other "birds" to look at and admire! It's also on a very short stumble distance from good waterholes...8) :lol:

"....and Lucky has allowed me to sharpen my comedic writing skills" I think that you already had it in you mate, you only needed a scapegoat! :oops: 8) :lol:

Toasting time! 8)

Great Good Luck to the House.
Good Luck to the Family.
Good Luck to every rafter in it,
and to every Worldly Thing in it.

Good Luck to the Horses and Cattle
Good Luck to the Sheep
Good Luck to Everything
and Good Luck to all your Means.

Good Luck to the Good-Wife
Good Luck to the children
God Luck to every Friend
and Good Fortune and Health to all.

-----------------------------------

I drink to the health of another,
And the other I drink to is he -
In the hope that he drinks to another,
And the other he drinks to is me!

------------------------------------

Slàinte maith, h-uile latha, na chi 'snach fhaic!
(Good health, every day, whether I see you or not!)

------------------------------------------------

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slainte agus sonas.
(May your cup overflow with health and happiness.)

Well put Jan! ,Pint coming your way...:salute:

Well this was my first new years on this forum and like Chris said if I wasn't on here everyday then this year would of been really dull!

Thanks guys/gals for making this such a happy place to be,hope to spend many more hours on here

Happy new year!All the best for 2009!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back