Ft. Hood incident

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A few of my friends are stationed at Hood. Fortunately they have all checked in, and are all okay. By the FB posts from a few of them, they must have been pretty close, as they saw people being treated.

The Military as well as civilians are required to abide by the law. This shooter showed disregard of the law, regardless of his method of inflicting injuries to others. Keep in mind that a U.S. soldier threw hand grenades around a compound several years ago, killing and wounding a number of fellow soldiers. This too, is considered illegal.

Using a weapon to attack and inflict harm to another person is illegal, period. Doesn't matter if they used a salad fork, a garden hoe or a firearm.

Carrying an unauthorized firearm aboard a military base is illegal. Period.

There will be public sentiment going either way about this shooting incident, but the bottom line is that the shooter was in the wrong from the very start, regardless of his methods and innocent people were harmed as a result.

To make a point, a British soldier was killed recently in London with a meat-cleaver (and knife). Killing with a meat-cleaver and/or knife is also illegal.

There are so many U.S. military bases similar to Fort Hood, though I heard on the news its definitely one of the biggest with up to 50,000 military personnel and their families residing on the base. However, I have not heard of this type of crazy behavior going on at other U.S. military bases. It certainly makes one wonder when you see this kind of thing twice in 4 years from the same place if there is some kind of breakdown in the process of managing this place. I don't think its enough to say its merely coincidence and its all the shooter's fault. If it was there would be no investigation and I am quite sure there will be some kind of forensic analysis of why this incident took place.

When I was in the US Army, and USAF if you had a private firearm on base you were required to keep it in the company, or squadron arms room. You signed it out when you wanted to use it ( hunting, target practice, etc.) you could not keep it overnight in your possession on base.
But there wasn't a set, service wide policy, this was in the 60s- early 70s, because the policy varied from base to base.

Military firearms were keep locked up in the arms room, unless you were training, on guard duty, or on duty requiring a firearm.
That was stateside, and overseas, except in combat zones.

I remember when my brother was on his second tour in Vietnam, 173rd Abn. They were there almost a month before they had their first combat death, but they had already lost 6 men thru various firearms mishaps.

Last edited:
My understanding (from news reports) is that he (shooter) had been seeking help for PTSD though he had never actually been in combat. This was his second visit to the Med facilities having been there 30 days earlier. He had gotten into some type of arguement with several people and left. He returned shortly with a gun and began shooting. Apparently some of the victims were those he had argued with earlier. The gun was his privately owned. He did not live on base and had driven in so the gun was most likely in his car which are not searched.

First off,I was happy to hear that my newly stationed at Ft.Hood niece is ok,she's in Medcorp and didn't hear from her for a long time. Second,just a fact and not political he bought that gun legally with a back ground check which does NOT check for mental illness,I don't think any do really. Which brings up the discussion on why can't atleast Sargents on up wear sidearms on base? Think it's a pretty good compromise from everybody wearing one especially those who have not had field experience..

Good to hear your niece is ok!

As far as firearms on military bases (stateside), DoD directive 5210.56, which was issued on February 25, 1992 authorizes DOD personnel "to carry firearms while engaged in law enforcement or security duties, protecting personnel, vital Government assets, or guarding prisoners".

If you wish to bring a firearm on base, you are required to register the weapon with the MPs at the gate and follow rules that are similiar to many state laws. The rules that apply are:

Concealed carry is not allowed.

All firearms are CASED and UNLOADED.

A cased firearm must not be readily accessible in the vehicle.

Ammo must be as far away from a cased firearm as possible; ammo should be cased, if practicable, and not readily accessible.

All magazines must be unloaded.

And the followed is expressly forbidden:

Explosive Weapons

Machine Guns

Short Barrelled Firearms

Firearm Silencer

Switchblade Knives

Knuckles (brass/steel)

Armor Piercing Ammunition

Chemical Dispensing Devices

Zip Guns

Clubs or Night Sticks

Illegal Knives

I don't have the DoD link handy covering all rhe rules, but it should be fairly easy to find with a search. Basically, a military installation is no different than many other places in regards to firearms and common sense always applies: When in doubt, ask :lol:

I understand the rules but like the "Gun Free Zone" signs they obviously don't work. Something has to change. Lopez broke every rule mentioned.

..Lopez broke every rule mentioned.
And then some...

By the way, in some states, committing suicide is illegal, too...

All throughout history, people have become imbalanced and turned their anger/frustrations out on others. The problem (as I see it) is that in this day and age where it's happening with an alarming frequency, there has been a breakdown of the social ideology where harm to others is unacceptable and instant media access makes it become a global, rather than a local, event. We can all speculate on how why this is happening, but the fact of the matter is, it's happening and a solution needs to be found.

"... in this day and age where it's happening with an alarming frequency...."

Feed-back loop, IMCO. Stoked by bad values dished out by the media, Hollywood and the "entertainment" industry and inflamed by technology aka social media (*twitter et al). I watched The Will Rogers Story the other afternoon and was struck by what a positive, healthy influence he was on a young, growing, troubled America. Where is today's Will Rogers .....? Where is that constructive influence .... not on the stage, not in Congress or political life at any level. Deeply troubling ....

A tragedy for all concerned, I hope you find a solution. There was a very involved and detailed article in the UK press about guns and gun control written by an American. The writer quite rightly pointed out many countries have more guns (like switzerland for example) but the difference was the attitude to mental illness. Not easy to find a solution, hope something changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back