FUTURE FORUM HACK? GET YOUR SPARE CHANGE TOGETHER GENTS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been aboard the Mars and that is no small outfit.
Behind the cockpit, is a small passage (offset from the main access stairwell) that opens into the APU room. To either side of the room are passageways into either wing for the engineer. She has two decks (not including the ridiculously large cockpit).

If the 7,000 gallon retardant tanks in the hull are reverted back to fuel tanks, you'll have about 11,000 gallons of fuel available for those trips to the grocery store (on the other side of the planet) :lol:

I've explored the Spruce Goose at Evergreen. Gorgeous woodwork.
How does the Mars compare in size to the H-4?

One of y'all can fly it, I'll crew the plumbing end of business.

Sproat Lake is about 15 miles long. I figure if I play with enough knobs and levers I can get it off the water. Coming down will be no problem....once I run out of fuel

bIchcdL.gif

Great Ralph, on our way. Only 4,999,983.53$ to go. I think I have some Rummoli pennies in the basement
Now you have made me feel bad (cheap). Ok, $25.18 (that's US). only IF there is a members matching. That means only 198,570-1/3 members will have to step up!

Wait! Does the 5M include TT&L and registration? If not we will need some more members....

I've explored the Spruce Goose at Evergreen. Gorgeous woodwork.
How does the Mars compare in size to the H-4?
The JRM is the largest Allied production flying boat. It's wingspan is 200 feet.

For comparison, the largest flying boat built by the Axis, was the BV238 which had a wingspan of 197 feet.

The Hughes H-4 has a wing span of 320 feet.
Right, and it was a prototype.

Look up the German's monster BV238 - the JRM Mars was bigger...

In the Mars' flight deck, from the instrument panel to the rear bulkhead, it's about the size of a motorhome - behind the pilot and co-pilot seat is a map table, with a navigator's station. The radio operator's station was past that and then the engineer's station was on the starboard side of the deck.
The photo that Dave (the pilot of the Mars) took of me in the pilot's seat, was taken in the open area between stations.

Last edited:
Actually, by wing span, the H-4 is still the world's biggest. Some of the modern Antonovs are longer and have less wingspan, but in aviation the wingspan was generally the measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back