Future New Releases.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

any hope of reproduction of an accurate 1/48th scale Ju 88G-6 ? ......... probably not. the Dragon kit is long gone I hear

To try and answer the question by Badbear, yes, there is room for another '109, particularly in that scale. The current 'best' one, of the 'Emil' anyway, is over thirty years old; possibly, if its origins are what I think they are, forty years old! OK, it's a nice kit, as is another one that is similar, but, the standards expected today are much higher, and what seemed 'fantastic' and was more than acceptable a few years ago, is now far from the currently available, and expected standard. Also, most model kit manufacturers know where their bread is buttered, (or some do!) and will release a kit, even of a 'repeat', such as the Bf 109 or Spitfire, knowing that it will always have a market, at some level, with someone, particularly if it is the best yet.
Furthermore, the standard and quality of present day kits is far removed from those from not many years ago. Then, the only way an 'average' modeller could produce that 'perfect in every detail' model, was by a lot of hard work, probably many extra accessories, and an equal amount of scratch-building and, above all, talent and skill. Today, it is possible to literally produce a museum-standard model, straight out of the box, using basic skills, and a little talent. Rather like photography, where today, virtually anyone can pick up a modern camera, point and press, and have perfect, or almost perfect, near professional results. Before, to achieve similar results, would take a minimum of two years study and work, and the a lot of experience, but now, the job is, to a greater extent, done by the camera itself.
One need only look at the comments in another thread, to see, and understand the current level of acceptability where kits are concerned; what was a good kit to some, years ago, is now considered terrible by a newer 'generation' of modellers. A 'new' kit of an 'old' subject will always be looked at closely by those that are really interested, even if it's only for the change, or to see what it's like. But it's this type of kit that gets the foot on the ladder of market share, allowing the revenue to produce other, more 'adventurous', rare, unusual or off-beat offerings that, although highly desirable to some, have a limited niche within the market that, without the sales of 'staples', would prevent them ever being considered as releases for the dedicated modeller, as the 'man in the street' wouldn't know what they were.
As a reinforcement of why such apparently overworked types are still being produced, one only needs to look at the burgeoning market for die cast models, aircraft and cars, that has grown tremendously in very recent years; and not neccessarily just with enthusiasts, but more so with the 'ordinary' person.
So, although I see the point that Badbear is making and, to an extent agree with him, yes, there is always, or nearly always, room for more of the same.

as I'm not a modeller I'll look at this from a slightly different angle. Seems to me with the predominance of Fw's and Bf 109G's in existance the last 10 years that modelling firms need to produce decal sheets or at least offer supplement sheets of different lower ranked and lower scoring pilots than the overwhelming amount of big cheeze's that exist with the Rk-EL, and even with these the instructions and Decals/Camo are not even correct as we have already seen in multiple threads

Absolutely Erich! I mean, honestly, doesn't even to be an Ace! Just an interesting story to tell or an unusual camouflage...

Like Jan, I agree 100% Erich! For every 'ace' there were, literally, hundreds of 'ordinary' pilots, some of whom, through no fault of their own,never even fired their guns in anger, even though they might be embroiled in the middle of a combat. I personally know at least two fighter pilots from WW2 who have that particular experience. Out of all the models I have ever built, I would think that only about 3 or 4 have been those aircraft flown by aces, or well-known pilots. At the moment, I have only one model representing a known pilot (with the exception of Nibel's Dora under construction), and that is only because I was able to get some convenient data for a unit I wanted to model. That particular kite is the first P51D flown by (the then) Major George Cueleers, 364th FG. But then, not many people, let alone modellers, will have heard of him (present company excepted) compared to, say Gentile or Preddy.
So yes, it would be much better to have models, and decals galore, representing the 'common man', perhaps named, but otherwise an actual airtcraft, known to have been representative of a partiular unit. Personally, that's why I build such models, as I get fed up seeing hundreds of the same 'aces' aircraft all the time.

Terry yes I know of Couleers in the 364th fg as this fg engaged JG 301 on several occassions

so whom wants to build Blue 4 eh ? Wayne just did a spectacular job with my cousins white 2 of which there are no known photos ..........yet, looks like I need to open a new modelling thread

I might have a go Erich, but it won't be for a little while, as I've got loads of other projects all happening at the same time. I want to do a couple of 190A's anyway, so it fits into my plans.

1/18 mustang thats big i have a1/18 F86 sabre in the HUFF scheme thats big two the wife recones that we need a hangar on the side of the house soon cos of all the large models i keep buying heh heh

The largest model airplane I have seen is a slightly larger than 1/9 scale B-36! It has a wing span of 27 feet (about 8.25M). I am sure this is a custom job. It is hung from the ceiling of a very large room near Las Vegas, NV. I saw this on an Extreme Home Program a couple of years ago.

I am sure the 1/18 Mustang is quite a bit smaller!

Bill G.

Hi Bill, and welcome! That B36 does sound a tad large! if you have a look in the 'Post R/C Models That Aren't Yours' thread, by Thunder Thud, I thinkthere's a large scale flying model in there soewhere, but I don't think it's quite as big as the one you mentioned. But, a 1/18th scale model, in the average house, is still a fair size!

HI Airframes!

Thanks for the welcome!!

I'll probably sneak into the R/C section someday. But as you have figured, that ain't my thing! Love your expressions!

My two moving hobbies are model trains and rockets. Not much risk with trains, but I have lost a couple of rockets. To be honest, I admire R/Cers that put so very much hard work and craftsmanship into something that can crash at any time.

I have watched some videos of very large R/Cs that have crashed. One was a B-52. It burned as well. Just a bit too real to me. I served on two SAC bases that had B-52s. I didn't see one crash. But still having seen the real things, that hits a bit close to home.

Thanks again!

Bill G.

Someone say model trains, H0 I presume...or? Looooove the Milwauke Road, Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Southern Pacific, Norfolk Western, Reading, Lehigh Valley, New York, New Haven Hartford, Western Maryland, Delaware Hudson and Gulf, Mobile Ohio......and S-T-E-A-M! Well, I don't mind 1st generation diesels or 2nd.....as long it's BEFORE Conrail! (shiver)...

ok well thats weird my post disappeared :S

Anywho Welcome Bill.

What scale/gauge and era/location are you into Bill?

Personally I have dabbled with 00 and N, British stuff of course :D

Cheers.

Yup the Big 4 and before hand. Also British Rail up until Privatisation.

My grandfather worked for LMS and BR until 1980 as a fitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back