Future vs. Rust - Oleum glaze.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I can't remember if I have covered this before but when I see people saying they use a floor gloss to give a model a gloss or protective coat, I always see a debate if it yellows. Some say its the uncured paint that made it yellow, others say its because it has a weak UV protector because its a floor polish meant to be stripped and reapplied.

I tried a glaze made by rust-oleum that does in fact dry clear and says on the can that it will not yellow. It also says that it can be used on plastic and on items that will be outdoors.

By what I said, wouldn't the rust oleum be the better choice?

Don't know what rustthingamy is, but I haven't had yellowing on Future - yet.
My oldest model with a finishing coat of Future, in gloss, is now around 12 years old, and no sign of yellowing. My oldest model using Future mixed with Flat Base, for a matt finish, is around ten years old, and no sign of yellowing.
Normally, it's a matt clear coat which will show yellowing more, as the varnish ages, and the carrier yellows, but it depends on the type (eg enamel, polyurethane, or acrylic) and the brand. Enamel tends to yellow more, but some brands more than others, whereas acrylic is more resistant to yellowing, as their is no solvent based carrier.

Terry, Rust-o-eum is a brand of paint that was supposed to penetrate surface rust and prevent further rusting. The company has since branched out to make may different products from lacquers to enamels to epoxy paints.
He said Rustoleum Glaze which is: Triple Thick Glaze is a clear protective coating that gives a crystal clear finish. It provides a protective top coat that goes on thicker than most clear coatings. It creates a baked "glaze" finish without the the heat. Great for wood, metal, wicker, plastic, glass, plaster, ceramic, paper and more.
Arach- did you use instead a clear lacquer or enamel?

Attachments

• 264985_0912_SPC_12oz_TripleThickGlaze_L.jpg
    264985_0912_SPC_12oz_TripleThickGlaze_L.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Mike, I used it on a cell phone case. So far, it has worked wonderfully to protect the decals.

I used that exact glaze. I have not tried it on a model yet, but am considering it.

I've not used this and have no experience but from reading the advertisement I would not use it. Your really do not want a thick coating on your model as it will tend to obscure fine details. Future is thin, like water, and forms a very thin layer. Don't forget, you have paint (2 coats possibly); Future coat; decals; Future/flat clear coat to finish. All have to cure and thick coats can take a month or more. Future is also an acrylic which means water or alcohol at most to clean up.
Like Terry I have never seen Future yellow, of course, all my models are indoors in cases

There is a thread on cure times. Acrylics like Future both dry (water evaporates) and form chemical bonds. Both are surface phenomenon. Every micron deeper takes longer as the solvent has to pass through more cured layers. A normal coat of Future about 48 hours under optimal conditions.

Thanks Mike, I now know what it is - we have a similar product here in the UK, probably the same stuff under a slightly different name.
I agree, on a model it will be too 'heavy', like any 'household' varnish or paint, and will obscure detail and, to an extent, diffuse the appearance of the paint. OK, it dries crystal clear - but it's 'thicker', designed for larger surfaces, where diffusion isn't apparent, unlike the relatively small area of a model, especially smaller scale models.
Personally, I'd stick with the proven methods, either using a known modelling brand of clear coat, or Future, which itself is not that far removed from an ordinary, acrylic modelling varnish.
Oh, and in the UK, the Sun is the name of a newspaper - we don't know what the other one is!!

I cannot confirm this but I think SC Johnson Wax has recently dropped the name Future from their floor polish. I know pledge vinyl and tile polish with Future is the same thing, but it took me three stores to find it. When I did find it, the bottles were mixed with Pledge multi surface floor polish. The multi service bottle says "new look, same great polish."

I will call the customer service line to confirm.

Just went to Wal-mart, this is still on their shelves

Attachments

• 0004650000182_500X500.jpg
    0004650000182_500X500.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 279
Yes, the name was changed a couple of years back. In the UK, it was always known as Johnson's 'Klear', but is now Johnson's 'Pledge - with Klear'.
I suppose they're bringing all their range of polishes under the 'Pledge' brand name, for clarity. That's clarity for them - not us!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back